1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation in my own yard

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mykster, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe a dumb question, but here it goes anyway. I would like to install an irrigation system in my own yard. Feel somewhat confident that I could lay the piping and sprinklers. As far as the backflow, pressure valves, wiring, and whatever else I'm in the dark. Would it be possible just to lay the pipe with a fitting to just hook up to a short garden hose w/ a timer to run the whole system? Is this possible? Would there be enough pressure just with a garden hose if it is possible?

Thanks in advance.
  2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

1. The System needs to be hooked up to an approved backflow preventer.

2. I've seen probably 100 systems installed by homeowners. I've seen 1 that was close to being correct. It is a real shame to see these homeowners go through all of this work and end up with a system that leaves brown spots all over the place when they are done.
    Save yourself a bunch of headaches and frustration and get a qualified contractor involved in the project. It will be well worth it.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

In or area, most hose spigots are reduced down to 1/2" copper somewhere inside the home. Due to the small size of the copper you would be limited as to how many gallons per minute are able to run thru the pipe. This means many more zones to properly install out in the yard.

I've seen many systems like this and they are junk. Do it correctly now rather than flying one of us out there to fix it. :)
  4. Mykster

Thanks Mike and Dmac for the replies, I will scratch my idea and do it the right way. I would still like to do it on myself. There's a Horizon dealer about 15min. South of here. Maybe I'll pay them a visit.
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I just did mine and it was easier than I thought. I have 6 zones with 7 spray heads per zone. Total time of installation - 34 man hours. The wiring was the easiest part since I was an Electronics Tech in the navy. I did get it designed by a professional at John Deere Landscapes.
  6. Mykster

How much did they charge you for the design?
  7. skinnyd

skinnyd LawnSite Member
    from mass

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

The design was free as long as I bought my supplies from them.