Irrigation Install - Customer Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TravisT, Sep 9, 2007.

1. TravisT

TravisT LawnSite Member

I got a quote in the beginning of the summer for an irrigation system installed at my house. I'm not sure the reputability of the installer, but when he came out and gave a quote, he checked my pressure at a hose bib outside. If I remember correctly, it was about 45 psi. The pressure jumped up to about 60 and fluctuated back down to 45 on the gauge. My house is a new construction and fed by a 1" line to the meter. I am also a block away from a water tower.

I have a pretty large front yard measuring about 160x100. What would you guys say a good estimate of zones & sprinklers/zone would be required for this size area with the information provided? Just want to get an idea of whether or not this guy knows what he's doing before going any further.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not enough information. To start, pictures would help tremendously. :)

3. TravisT

TravisT LawnSite Member

I'm currently out of town. The yard is a rectangular with a ditch along the street along the entire front of the lot. There is a driveway about 15 feet from one side of the property. The street side is 160' total and the front yard is about 95 - 100' deep. I may be able to post a picture of the yard, but pictures of the meter or anything like that would have wait until I return home. I'll see what I can find.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Picture of the area in question and planned landscape uses is primarily needed to give any kind of ballpark estimate.

5. TravisT

TravisT LawnSite Member

Here is the best picture I can find. The yard is square from the edge of the fence to the right and from the driveway to the left out to the street. Hopefully this helps a little. I just want to get an idea - nothing spot-on or anything.

[​IMG]

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

So just the front, which is primarily turf and the planter beds along the house?

Based on the plants in the beds, a minimum of 1 zone, but I might be tempted with 2 zones just for future changes and for more precise watering.

So that leaves the lawn, which I will assume is about 80% of the yard.

Really need to know available flow (GPM) to determine the how many zones you would need, but my first suggestion would be REDUCE THE LAWN!!

Also distance from sidewalk by the drive to the street and deepest point of the turf area to the street would be nice. Doesn't have to be exact, a ballpark is close enough.
    Flow should be as close to a real value as you can get, or just pick a number that you think is more or less right. Won't be a totally accurate estimate because your zone count can fluctuate quite a bit based on your available flow rates.

Wouldn't hurt to let us know what the guy who bid the job came up with.

7. No offense Travis but your picture has caused the forum page to exceed my screen size which means I have to scroll this way and that way to read posts and help you. When it gets to a second page with pics in the 640 by 480 range I'll jump back in with advice.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Must be running your desktop at that old man resolution... :waving:

BTW, since the image is linked, you can just resize and upload a new version to your website.

9. Why should I do all that work just to be helpful?

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not you, the guy who posted the image. It is linked to his personal web site.

For you, you could increase your desktop resolution and bump up your font size so you could actually read it.
    I run my desktop at 1920 x 1440 so I don't have any problems fitting it. :)