Irrigation installation efficiency tips

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lawnworks, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You guys have any tips on making a residential installation fly? What is the order you do your systems? Here is the order I have been doing it. POC, backflow, trench, manifolds, fab fittings and funny pipe, install pipe and fittings, wiring, backfill, install heads.
  2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

There are so many "flow chart" methods of installing an irrigation system because of the vast number of variables. It will also matter whether the system is being trenched or plowed, how big the system is and so many other variables. Sometimes it depends on whether its a "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" all in one day cracker box residential installation and how many workers are installing.

In general: we make the POC, set the BF, trench the main in setting valves/wiring/boxes, backfilling and water jetting main line because we work with large systems in general. We'll make the controller a priority because once it's in we can then use our remote for flushing out zones and for adjusting sprinkler heads. Then we'll start picking off the individual zones.
  3. On the last commercial job, we started at the furthest zone and worked back to the POC. Since I own my own trenchers I only work in one zone/zones at a time. Trench, lay pipe(valves & wiring), set heads, back fill. Then I move onto the next zone/zones. This way I never have any open trenches over night and don't have to worry about rain or liabilities. Some jobs I start at the POC. I don't think either way is faster than the other.
    I would say if you trench, then the job is broken into three even parts.
    1/3 of the labor is trenching, 1/3 piping and 1/3 is backfilling/clean up.

The only way of speeding up the job, if you trench, is a faster trencher, experience laying in a system and a mccullough coverup machine for the back filling.

a few weeks ago I broke a drivebelt($12) on my cover up and I almost cried...
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There's always amphetamines. :eek:
  5. PurpHaze

LMAO!!!!!!!!! Amphetamines + rake = quick backfill for broken drive belts. :laugh:
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

So, how do you tamp after the cover up fills the trench? When we trench (which is pretty much only on new properties that are really rocky and have no lawn yet) we use the backfill blade on our 3500 but we still hand tamp to get it nice and compact.

Lawnworks, If the yard is going to be harley raked and topsoil brought in after the irrigation is done we just stub up the swing pipe like you do and set the heads right before the sod goes down.

BTW, according to the coverup site, this guy runs a irrigation company:

Sure doesn't look like it though :laugh:
  7. PurpHaze

I know some companies that just pile the spoils on top of the trench and walk away. "Oh... It'll settle in." :rolleyes:
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone using the Vermeer TC-4 tamper?
  9. With the cover up if you make 3 passes over the trench 95% of the soil is put back in the trench.....
    1st pass then tamp, second pass then tamp, final pass mounded up for the final settling of the soil...2" or so on the mound

makes cleaning up a pleasure...
  10. I gained 10 pounds when we started using the coverup....true story:laugh: