1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

irrigation, irrigation, irrigation.. i hear it all the time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 22, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So, let's get down to the nitty gritty here. How many of your customers actually water their lawn? Either with a professional installed irrigation system or sprinklers?
    Now i aint dumb, I realize that in states like Arizona, California etc, these places better be watered otherwise they aint having grass.
    So let's talk further east, are your lawns irrigated, how many are, and how many total lawns do you have?

We have 102 lawns currently, NONE are professionally irrigated, a handful may water by sprinkler hoses.
    How bout you?
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have 75 lawns and 2 have irrigation and only 1 of them uses it. The other person used to but they decided not to this year and also decided not to have there lawn treated.
  3. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I only have 2 customers with irrigation systems and probably 25 others water their lawn. It doesn't matter to me because I have all contracts.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe 6 out of over 200?
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Dang near everybody in my part of Florida has irrigation. I fine it odd that so many in other parts of the country do not have irrigation.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have 26 contracted residential accounts and 13 have irrigation systems. About half of my "fertilizer" customers have irrigation as well.

Yes they run them all season and I usually help them with minor repairs, setting the controller throughout the year, and winterizing/de-winterizing.:)

They also, by far, have the healthiest turf of all my customers.:)
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If the weather continues to be dry in those areas it is going to be costly to put in irrigation because the yards seem to much bigger than those in Texas. The cost of installation and the water would be very high. I don't quite understand why the big yards in the little states and the little yards in our state where we have a lot of land and it is less valuable. Our customers don't really use the yards and probably wish they didn't have them but cost of irrigation is reasonable.....probably 60% have irrigation and irrigation installs is brisk business.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe around 25% of mine have systems, not too many of the other customers water religiously, but a few do, and a lot will at least water the front so I can justify mowing :laugh:

It's been dry but I've managed to cut a high percentage of my lawns each week.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Most of mine do, as all of florida does, but before I moved here I dont think I ever saw an irrigation system.
  10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

With the exception of a minor amount of school district grounds and one piddly five mile stretch of right of way, ALL of my properties are irrigated.