1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation Licensing In CT

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hickory, Feb 20, 2004.

1. hickory

hickory LawnSite Member

This message is for those irrigation companies that work in CT. Does anyone know what type of licensing is required in the state? If there is would anyone have information on how to obtain the license. I think you have to have had worked for a company for a year in order to sit for the state exam, but I'm not sure.
  2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

you have to contact dept of lic and consumer protection...they have to 'approve' you to take the irrigation exam. i was 'approved'...it took 11 months for them to 'approve' me...i still have not taken the exam...lazy, i guess.

the irrigation exam is hard, but not as hard as the certified pesticide applicator's exam. that exam is ORAL!!! good luck.

talk about a trade protecting their trade.

3. hickory

hickory LawnSite Member

So you had the appropriate 1 year work experience and it still took them that long to approve you for the exam? Or did you substitute class time for this?
  4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

i have been pumping in systems for some time now...

not to blow my horn, but i have....

general contractor's licensce in my county
    nys certified pesticide applicator
    new jersey licensed irrigation contractor
    certified irrigation contractor (through IA)
    countless re-cert/continuing education credits for irrigation

dude, i was overqualified to take this exam...don't know why they made me wait so long...paperwork, i guess.

i plan to take the exam this year...studying now for the irrigation module of clt...i take that exam in april 17...pray for me.

the fact that i am cic and nj licensed irrigation contractor, i should be 'grandfathered' in for the ct license...but i will take exam anyway...maybe the state needs the $$$.