Irrigation licensing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DLAWNS, Feb 19, 2008.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I just had some questions about getting into irrigation. How do I get certified and do I need a plumbing license. If I didn't feel I was ready to get into irrigation installation could I get into maintenance of systems, which I believe would be easier for me to handle?
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

There are probably some from NJ here that could answer your question better, but, check with your local municipality or one that you would do work in, as to licensing. Maintenance is better to start with than installs, as you will learn many principles of installation while doing service ( no substitue though). A proper education, even in service/maintenance is of utmost importance to your success and quality of work.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the advice.
  4. kozmo

kozmo LawnSite Member

NJ requires a license for installs as well as service,as far as installation of the back flow device that needs a license plumber.The license requirements state you need a 3 year apprenticeship prior to taking you test.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you for your input.
  6. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

also, one is not allowed to work on any part of an irrigation system without a license. (this includes repairs/rehabs)

7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a simple home improvement license or a special irrigation license that we need ?