Irrigation Maintenance Contract

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Irrig8sc, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Irrig8sc

Irrig8sc LawnSite Member

I'm bidding on the maintenance contract of a commercial irrigation system with approximately 70+ zones this system also has two pumps that pull from a lake. Does anyone have any ideas about how go about doing this for a system this size?

Thanks!

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Aim to make a profit!!

What a great first post!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

dartboard and magic eightball work for me

4. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

SIGH...:dizzy:

Is this your first maintenance bid? Why not just pull a number out of your A$$ & include a 30 day out clause in case you were too low. Or the dart board and magic eightball from the Boots might work, wait don't forget a Ouija board.

I'm sorry, now I've just lowered myself to a level I try not to go to :hammerhead:.

I think you'd get a better response if you provided some more information. I'm sure the management co. or the owners gave you a spec sheet. Why not start with that? :waving:

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Did you get spell check or something? Forming complete sentences with punctuation and not a single spelling mistake. I usually need a translator to read your posts. What gives?:waving:

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've managed a ton of big sites and posted before about how to negotiate a maintenance contract. The bottom line is a "survey" is needed to see the scope of the system and check on exactly what is fouled up. That is separate pricing from the git; otherwise, bail.The contract should only cover normal service such as spring start-up, adjusting clock(s) during the season and (not knowing where the site is) winterizing. Anything else is T&M. I think you're over your head.

7. Where are you located? Are you using a remote or two guys with one at the clock? How many hours do you estimate it will take to walk through? Do you know anything about pumps? What kind of condition is the system in now? Are they going to let you bill for repairs? Do they have a plan or layout of the system?

Maintenance is a tough bid but can be very profitable. Trial and error like anything else. We had an old poster London Rain who got heavy into maintenance and bought a golf cart to help out.

8. Mike Leary

Depending on your location, could be one of the forum members could take a look and advise.

9. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'm not as dumb as I look.. or sound.

10. Mike Leary

Don't worry, you'll fall on your butt eventually, we all do.