Irrigation only?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Without A Drought, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on this site that runs a company specializing exclusively in irrigation? (i.e., not landscaping and, "oh, I can install your system, but no permits or inspections") i know that's all i do, and most other companies in my area only do irrigation. come to think of it, i can't think of any irrigation co's that have branched into landscaping. So why is the opposite not true?

just wondering, what it's like elsewhere.

pg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We only do irrigation.

I've found that combo companys like to replace their drip lines.

3. irrigation only...

4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We do both irrigation and landcape maintenance and operate them as separate profit centers. I do have a few parts (1800 guts, various caps, and flags) in the LM trucks just to do quick fixes till we can get out to do a proper repair.

They are two different fields that require different materials and personnel. Try to do it all and you won't do anything well.

5. Without A Drought

yeah, i guess i'm just a little ticked. seems like if anything goes wrong on an account, the irrigation company is first to get blamed.

any contractor that comes in contact with or disrupts a system (landscapers, masons, builders, etc.) thinks that they can fix it. they usually can't (reference: cast iron insert fittings, worm drive clamps, or my favorite: an inch of duct tape to seal a poly break).

and on top of it, i have to know all about my field, know different "plant-soil-water" relationships, and tell you that your grass is dying from over watering/under watering/disease/fungus/grubs/ or just the fact that your dog likes to piss in the same spot everyday.

sorry for the rant, it's been an aggravating day.

pg

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Or electricians and their conduit splicing onto irrigation PVC. :)

And then there's the inevitable debris in the line that they seem to have no concept that it goes down the line and clogs something up. :dizzy:

7. telcomac

telcomac LawnSite Member

Irrigation only! Installs and repairs.:)

8. johnnyaqua

johnnyaqua LawnSite Member

My company does irrigation only.. We have

90 guys
    55 trucks
    11 install crews
    30 service techs

However, we are considering landscape maintenance...

9. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

IRRIGATION ONLY BABY!!! <although we do some lighting work too>

10. Without A Drought

Most of the irrigation guys in my area have no clue what they're doing (earlier in the year I did a rehab on a system: zone 1, 3 PGP, zone 2, 4 PGP, zone 3, 11 PGP!!!, all 2 or 3 nozzle. What are you thinking? seriously, this guy is licensed.) I'm not saying i'm the premier design man, thankfully water conservation isn't the biggest issue, but when you build something like that, then do the demo, how do you sell that?

Granted, it generates a lot of business for me, but i start to feel bad for the homeowner. "I'm sorry Mr. Smith, I know you just spent $5,000 on your irrigation, but it's gonna cost another 10 to get it the right way, and I'll throw in the PVB and mini-clik (which are requited by law) at no extra cost.

Do you all think the other trades run into this? or is it because irrigation is mostly "it's in the ground, so no one will see it", that there's so much mediocrity?

pg