Irrigation Problems/breaks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Arnold, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Post your first Irrigation problem/break of the season here.

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

The other day I found a sprinkler head that got hit by the aerator near the practice green the other day....New golf heads cost around 100-150 bucks from what I have seen.

3. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Lightning strike on a EL-6 (must be the last one in operation on the face of the earth) also fried every valve on the system. With Regards... devildog

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Typical copper split and Febco bonnet. Will do many of these as usual.

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess that 90% of our freeze damage to backflows occurs on Febcos, and yet I doubt if more than 20% of the backflows in this area are Febcos. We have only ever used a few of them, mainly once when our supplier was out of the other brands. I won't use them any more at all, because of all the problems with freeze damage.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say 80-90% of them here are Febco. The main problem we have is a bonnet or poppet. But I see probs with Watts and Wilkins throughout the year as well. Febco bonnets are easier to get than others. I do have an RP that is completely split open that I need to replace. But it is all the homeowners fault for not draining system, or calling us for a blow out. More $$ in my pocket.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the Watts 800M4 FR (freeze resistant). Easy to repair and service. If the water is left on a "freeze plug" pops out and water flows saving the unit.

My experience is that damage seldom occurs on any on late season freezes unles thewae has been left on and continues to creep in as frezzing occurs adding to the volume of ice. We've defrosted plenty over the years with a torch to winterize them on cold mornings with no damage occuring.

When I send my notices, I advise customers to turn water off, run system to relieve line pressure and let a little water gravity out and throw a blanket, quilt or news papers or leaves and cover with a plastic trash bag to keep insulation dry.

8. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Got my first break in our system a 1 1/2 galvanized pipe rusted out. 5 feet in the ground right in front of the #6 green big mess got it all unearthed then the rain started. Then today it turns over to snow, hole is full of water. Usually were busting butt to get it fixed so we can water, instead were waiting for the rain/snow to quit.

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Have a customer that added a 2 car garage on there property (not attached to house). The contractor trenched a 150' long trench 18" deep for electrical service to garage.

He cut:

12-1" poly lines
    6-swing pipe lines
    1-3/4" poly line
    the 1" pvc main line in 2 places
    the 13 strand controller wire in 2 places
    and.....low voltage wiring for outdoor lights in 2 places.

ahhhh......the joys of springtime work

He did asked me beforehand if I knew where all the sprinkler lines were, but of course this was not a system I had installed.