Irrigation Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sunedog, Mar 13, 2007.

1. sunedog

sunedog LawnSite Member

I have a 2 HP 220V pump for my lawn irrigation system. I pull water out of a lake. The system is 15 years old and I am having a problem this season. The timer starts the pump, the pump gets power for a few seconds and then trips the 30 Amp breaker. I pulled the pump into my shop and verified that the motor is not bound up (I could turn the shaft with a screwdriver). One of the two hot wires possibly had a very small cut in the insulation where it passes through a hole in the motor, so I fixed that. Pulled the covers off of the large capacitors (I assume they are capacitors) on top of the pump. No signs of burning or other problems. Reinstalled the pump and get same result.

Anyone care to offer de-bugging advice? How do you test the capacitors? I think at least one of them is a jump start capacitor to help the pump overcome start-up load. I have a volt-ohmmeter, but only know the basics of electrical debugging.

You may be concluding (correctly) I know enough to be dangerous, so I treat this 220V appliance with great respect.

Thanks for your consideration.
    sunedog

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on the pump,15 years is a pretty good service life. Sounds as if your motor windings may be shot. Or a motor bearing getting hot and seizing after running for a bit. May be time for a rebuild or new pump.

3. sunedog

sunedog LawnSite Member

Took the pump to a large irrigation company. They told me a new 2 HP Burks pump is around $700. They tested the caps and verified the start cap was bad and the run cap was good. They didn't have the one I needed in stock so I called around town and found the right cap for $7.50. Replaced it and the pump runs like new.

Thanks for your help

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Great job, sounds as if it worked out ok for you.