1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Georgia Bull Dog, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Georgia Bull Dog

Georgia Bull Dog LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Irrigation Question
    Do you use saddles or fittings when connecting your funny pipe?
    If you are using saddles do you feel that they are too expensive?
    What brand or type of waterproof wire nuts do you use?
    Do you feel that they are too expensive also?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I use standard fittings and Oetiker clamps. Never really seen the need to change. King wire nuts. Yeah they're a little expensive, but far less expensive and messy as the good 'ol Snap-Tite.
  3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

We use a little of both, I prefer the fittings. Saddles are around 1.05 each and a threaded T fitting is .76 - $1 plus you add in the cost of the two clamps +.2 and it is similar in cost but I think you will have less callbacks if you use all fittings. I do feel that weatherproof wire nuts are a bit much for what you get, you can just buy a tube of silicon and fill regular wire nuts if you want to cut your price by a lot.
  4. Georgia Bull Dog

Georgia Bull Dog LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the input ! It will help in future product design that I am working on. Note the clamps are 7cents or less here in NJ 1 inch
  5. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Old school here, standard fittings and clamps, and also King wire nuts. Cheaper than the new saddle ones, and also a big factor for me is I know they work, and will hold up thru the freeze and thaw cycle here in Michigan.
  6. Flatbed

Flatbed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Everbody uses saddles around here. Fittings might be cheaper, but alot more work. Never had a call back on a saddle. I use 3M 316IR connectors. They are more money, but alot faster and easier. They are like connectors used for phone line.
  7. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

Regular inserts anywhere that the hole is open: trenched, multiple fittings, etc. Blazing Saddles find their way into the middle of the runs on laterals--you can dig 1/3rd the hole (or less) and be in and out in literally 1/4th the time in certain spots. No 1.25" BS, though. We've fixed far too many of them. They can't be driven on safely even when buried properly, in my experience.

Don't let people fit saddles who don't understand how they need to be positioned and buried. We have almost zero problems with 1" BS.