irrigation service on large commercial

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by matt spinniken, Aug 17, 2007.

1. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, I am working on a bid for a condominium complex that includes irrigation service. The property is around 4 acres with 2 acres of turf with around 20 units/houses. I will have to call the city to get the water turned on. I normally dont service properties of this size what should I look out for, and does any one have any tips. Also, what might be a rough price range? Thanks, I have to submit my bid by monday.

2. Take a stopwatch. Start at the beginning. Walk to every sprinkler head. Stand there for 20 seconds go to next and do the same. When you have finished entire property check stopwatch and multiply time by your hourly rate and number of times needed to check system. Submit bid.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What's wrong with $1500 a zone?..whoops wrong thread:laugh: We've been sucked into this dumbs..t
    deal before...tell the property manager a "survey" has to be done before "management" can start.
    For all you know, the system is crap (prolly) & needs repairs. "management" says the system is up and
    running. We insisted a remote pigtail be installed BEFORE a survey could take place. Most of those places
    are junk & the only one Hank services anymore has a Rain Master permanant remote. Be carefull with contracts!

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

First: Tell them a remote IS required.

Second: Tell them you WILL be required to develop zone map(s).

Third: Tell them you won't even discuss routine "service" UNTIL the system is thoroughly surveyed and brought up to snuff (if there are problems) and all repairs/renovations have been completed.

Fourth: I'm sure there will be other requirements or you'll end up taking it in the shorts. :)

5. I was contracted by a 69 home community with irrigation on a community wide system for a repair quote.
    My first step was install remote and check entire system and submit a repair estimate.
    Second step was perform repairs and determine hrs involved checking each zone.
    Third step was submit a price for monthly service of 10.5hrs.

I looked at three large community's this week for irrigation service and determined the checkups would take the following time with remotes.
    163 houses and I estimated time 24hrs 200+zones
    122 houses and I estimated time 20hrs. 180+ zones
    160 houses and I estimated time 24hrs. 200+zones
    I always estimate high hrs. on the first check up.

6. I know this is somewhat silly but I'm giving it serious consideration. A segway to help run through the zones? They have an off road version and I see them on ebay. Can zip through the grass with a backpack of tools.Backwards/forwards/spin on a dime plus checkouts would be a blast. I've used my mountain bike to help checkout before.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it silly at all, if I was doing sites that big, a Gator or such would
    be at the top of my list..after the Rain Master remote...oh, and those pigtails
    from that guy in Texas..what's his name? Eggs Benedict?:laugh:
    Hank has acess to dual Gators at one of his huge sites, bet his feet don't hurt
    so much doing service!

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you're into golf and caught any of the British Open this year you would of seen Segways following golfers down the fairways with TV cameras mounted on them. I also saw a few Bobbies patrolling across the course with them.

9. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, not silly at all. How much is the off-road Segway compared to a motor scooter? A mountain bicycle is cheaper but will make you tired. Segway probably easier to store in your truck. I used motor scooter might be less expensive than the Segway. Scooter can have saddle-bags for tools and common parts.

10. Motor scooters don't go backwards nor spin on a dime and have to be anchored when you get off. You can just hop off a segway and do your thing and hop right back on. Also you could charge customers $5 a minute to ride on it.