irrigation system damage

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We did an install last week where the main for the irrigation was litterally 2 inches deep. We didnt hit it that i know of and it was all working fine but the client called today about a geyser in the front yard near an area we had worked.

I told him I would drop by and look at it. Broken elbow from the main pvc to the funny pipe that was 2 inches deep. We could of hit it but I doubt it. Maybe even the pressure of us walking on it cracked it. I repaired it at no charge (37 cents in parts and 45 min of my time) just to keep him happy.

Would you guys of repaired it as well since its obviously not installed properly ?

2. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

I have hit a couple before that were very shallow. I fixed them, keep a few repair kits handy. May not be your fault since they were so shallow but it looks better if you fix it I feel. Your 45 minutes fixing is better than him spending 45 minutes telling friends you broke his irrigiation line and wouldn't fix it. Just my opinion.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah thats what i thought. He appreciated my quick attention. Im just not happy repairing his sub standard stuff on my dime.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Proscapes, there is a fly by night company out here that will lay irrigation on the surface of the ground, only digging down to set the heads, then cover with a few inches of topsoil and then lay sod.

Sad to hear that this style is common in other area's too :(

On our Bid contract we state that all lines will be at least 8", though most end up between 10" and 14" due to the plow.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I make a repair as well. It looks good to the client. I tell them that we hit a line that was not to code and fixed it anyway. They like it when they know what is going on.