Irrigation system from a well

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lawnworks, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I quoted a residential property for an irrigation system w/ a well. I have not measured the actual pressure and flow yet... but she thinks it is 6gpm. I am guessing 1/2".... maybe 3/4" supply line. I am going to check flow, pressure and the main a week before the project, but want to what your opinions are. I have estimated only 4 rotors per zone... and w/ PGP nozzles 1 or 2... I would have less than 1 GPM per head. I have always installed systems w/ at least 20gpms and good pressure, so I would like advise from anybody that has experience w/ wells.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Wells usually never have 1/2 inch plumbing. That might be a warning sign for low flow. You would want to look for any obvious indications of pump horsepower and well/pump/water depth. The longer you can run the pump while testing, the better you'll be prepared. It is possible that a well could show a decent flow for an hour or more, before running dry.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Never trust the homeowner.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

true statement...

they are worse than the pups......

but unlike the pups they generate a lot of business...

5. Lawnworks

from usa

Finished the system a couple of weeks ago. I measured 12gpms from the well. Pushed 5 PGPs on #1(180 degrees) and #3 nozzles(270 degrees). I also had a couple zones w/ 6 sprays... had to use that new Rainbird nozzles that does about .8gpms... they are expensive but they are great for low flow or running alot of sprays on one zone. Great learning experience... it is amazing how you can nozzle down and make everything work.

6. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

i am on a well and I want to do my system i havent measured gpms yet but im sure its low. So are you saying you can do this without a pump. I thought I had to get a pump.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

The one I did had the pump in the ground... I am not real familiar w/ wells so I don't know if they are all like this.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would allow for more than 5 PGPs with #3 nozzles, if I had to use up 12 gpm. What matters is that it works, and you got paid.

9. Lawnworks

from usa

I don't think I could have... the pressure was pretty low. The performance on the #3s was not spectacular, but I wanted the precipitation to be somewhat uniform... my 12gpm estimation might have been a little high since my method of finding the flow was a 5 gallon bucket... should have used the gauge on this one!

10. rcmike

rcmike LawnSite Member
    from TN

Is that what the well makes or just what the pump was pumping? For example: if the well makes 1gpm and fills up 100 feet it will pump whatever the pump will do until it pulls the water level to the bottom. Then you will only have 1gpm and the pump will be sucking air.