1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation System Install Info/Help needed.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jun 16, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at re-doing my own lawn (go figure) mine looks worse than any lawn I take care of. Anyhow, I want to start by installing a sprinkler system. Never installed one before but I do a good background of hydraulics so the calculations shouldnt be a problem.

What I'm looking for at this point is some literature. Online perhaps, with some good install tips, possibly a list of materials needed. I havnt decided yet, to buy it as a kit, or individually. My lawn is small, about 1500s.f front and 1200 s.f of turf in the rear plus 3 beds in the front and 2 in the rear. So the system itself should be small and fairly simpl to design.

I'm going to continue my search on lawnsite for similar topics, but thought I would ask anyway for links to online literature on installing irrigation systems.

Also, while Im at it. Any tips on manufacturers. Since I dont work with wprinkler systems, name brands dont mean much to me. Suggestions on which ones to stay away from, or which ones have a good rep, parts availability and so on?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. DOORZ

DOORZ LawnSite Member

3. We use Hunter - pro c controller, Hunter I-20 ultra rotors, Hunter 1" PGV threaded valves, Rain Bird 1800's spray heads, 1" schedule 40 main line, pr200 1" & 3/4 lateral lines.

We replace a lot of Rain Bird dv-100 valves in our area- hair line crack in the body.
    Rain Bird 5000's - stop rotating
  4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Similar to Londonrain...Irritrol and Rainmaster controllers (Rainmaster on huge properties or ones where precise control is needed), sched 40 everywhere, Toro Super Funny Pipe (and assorted Marlex and barbed fittings), Hunter I-20 Ultra or Toro Stream Rotors, Rainbird 1800's (mostly 8" or 12" pop's), Weathermatic valves, Weathermatic spray nozzles (for the 1800's), Walla Walla MP rotator's, copper risers (with Weathermatic adapters and spray heads), Hunter (Hunter check valves), and lots of 13-strand wire.

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Download Hunter's design book. It is great, whether you end up using Hunter products or not. I built mine last year. Hunter Pro-C controller, PGP heads, and Hunter jar top valves. If I were doing it over, I would use I-20's instead of PGP's. You get a better head for just a little more money.