Irrigation system opinions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Roger1962, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Roger1962

Roger1962 LawnSite Member

Tired of watching my yard blow away so I am finalizing bids for my irrigation system.

I have two front runners based on reputation and quality of work. Both have good references. I had a bid of 4200 for a comparable Toro system but the reviews on the company were horrible across the board so I have tossed that

One is a Rainbird system Specs are as follows:

$3800.00 cost

1= rainbird esp modular controller
    12= 1' rainbird dv100 series valve
    32= rainbird 5000 series rotor
    2= rainbird 1800 series spray
    1= irritrol wireless rainsensor
    1= 3/4 inch wilkens 950 xl model dual check backflow preventer
    2 year guarantee from leaks
    winterization free the fall of 2012
    1" pvc class 200 psi rated water main line
    1" poly pipe 80 psi rated

The other is a Hunter system specs are as follows:

$4900.00 cost

32 Hunter PGP Turf Rotors
    11 Hunter PGV 1" control Valves
    1 Febco 3/4" Backflow preventer
    1 Hunter Pro-C 12 station controller
    1 Hunter Rain Clik Rain Sensor
    2012 Fall Closedown
    no info on lines or pipe

The Rainbird guy said that he could do Hunter or Weathermatic as well but it is unclear as to whether there would be a price difference. I could use some opinions on Rainbird vs. Hunter.

This is a big investment so I want to try and get some unbiased input (meaning not trying to sell me). Thanks in advance for taking the time to help out.

Thanks

Roger W.

2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Hunter and RB components are interchangeable. I'd would be more concerned with the quality of installation, irrigation design, and contractor reliability.
    Don't focus on materials. Do focus on the knowledge and reputation of the contractor.

3. Roger1962

Thanks Stan. The Hunter guy is a little larger scale company but the referrals from both were very solid. They were both referred by people I trust. The RainBird guy was referred by my lawn guy who I know does not refer people lightly as he knows when he does their reputations become intertwined. The designs are very similar as are the warranties, etc.

The Hunter guy had good creds from Angie's List but got trashed on Google reviews so I don't quite know what to make of that. The Rainbird guy has a reference list but we know what those are really worth...would you give a number of an UNSATISFIED client for a reference? ...lol

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It is possible to do extremely good work using Toro components, but you have to pick and choose

the only possible head-shaker is the 80 psi poly pipe, but this is in absence of location and locally available brand names of poly, and to be fair, I know of 80 psi poly that has held up for 40 years

5. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes...what is you location Roger?

Very conservative on the zoning. What reasons did they give you for using 3/4" backflow assembly's, as opposed to 1"?

Is the Febco a PVB, or a dual check like the Wilkens?

6. Roger1962

I am in Foristell MO and I am not sure on the reason for the 3/4 backflow. I will ask. I am on a well with a 3/4 hp pump set at 340ft in a deep well of over 640ft. It is putting out about 7-8gpm at the hose bib so the pressure is not that great. As far as Toro equipment I didn't kill the idea of Toro just the contractor that proposed it.

7. Wet_Boots

I can see more 3/4 backflow with more 3/4 copper plumbing, from 5/8 basement water meters, what with the material costs. It would probably be cheaper to add a zone, than to spend more on copper trying to maximize system flow.

from a 7 gpm well, you lose very little with 3/4-inch plumbing

8. Roger1962

I am only getting three heads per zone max. I thought about upgrading the pump but it gets pricey

9. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Deep well. Around here 35' deep is not uncommon.

The dual check will steal valuable psi. Maybe you have areas to irrigate that are elevated compared to your backflow device location?

Looks to be no brain-er decision for you.

10. Wet_Boots

I'm not sure whether Missouri uses one of the regional codes. If not, the DCVA could apply.