1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation System Prices

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Jan 4, 2001.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you who do it, what do you guys charge, on average, for irrigation systems? I know it varies depending on the landscape and how much hand trenching there is, etc. But I am just talking base prices.

Ours are typically as follows:

1 Zone (incl. doublecheck, timer, etc.) = 1300
    2 Zones = 1900
    3 Zones = 2500
    4 Zones = 2900
    5 Zones = 3,200
    6 Zones = 3,500
  2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Man I put in a three zone irrigation system for 800 dollars including parts. I must be way off.
  3. JimLewis

Man, that is cheap. My prices are based on what two other irrigation contractor's in my area charge. And we are a little less expensive than most of the companies in this area. $800 for a 3 zone system! Sheesh! That IS cheap.

Of course, I don't know what it's like where you live, but in Oregon it's a real pain in the butt to get an irrigation contractor's license. You have to study a ton and pass a written test on irrigation systems and pass an extremely difficult test on backflow devices. Then you have to be pay fees, get licensed and bonded and complete all sorts of other paperwork.

So this decreases the amount of irrigation contractors out there. Thus, it is more expensive to become an irrigation contractor. Between these two things, we can't do irrigation systems for much cheaper.

Besides, how do you figure costs into that $800? We just finished in a 5 station system last week and the costs alone for materials was a good $500. Rainbird ESP controller was about $84. Toro rotor heads were like $80. RB valves were $70 (for 5), then theres the rental of the ditch witch, 1" PVC pipe, wiring, valve boxes, glue, Ts, unions, etc. I know this was for a 5 zone, not a 3. But even for a 3 zone system I am sure we'd pay a good $300 or $400 for parts and equipment rental.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the $140 we paid for electrical and plumbing permits (which are required).

Anyway, in this area, I guess irrigation prices must be higher. I am interested to see what others charge.
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Well Jim,

I don't know if I'm fortunate or unfortunate, but irrigation systems in this part of Wisconsin are a real rarity. Frugal market.

5. JimLewis

I guess I am fortunate for a few reasons. Here, they are relatively common because I live in the wealthiest part of the state. So most people in this area either have them, or their next door neighbor does and then they want one. I am fortunate also because in our very temperate climate and since we use amost predominately rygrass in Oregon, one really needs to have an irrigation system in order to have a plush, green lawn.
  6. I would never get that kind of price here in the san francisco peninsula.
    the lawns are small and compitition is fierce.
    Plus there is no enforcement of contractor liscense. For irrigation outside a home, all that i need is a C-27 liscence. To hook up an outdoor timer, a liscensed electrician is supposed to do it.

I charge by the sprinkler, $45. I own my own trencher and sod remover. Also, all I have to deal with is fixed sprinklers. I always use Rainbird products.
  7. JimLewis

Nobody has responded to this thread for a while. I was just hoping if I posted this it would put the thread at the top of the page again. I'd love to get some more feedback from guys who do irrigation.
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We sub all this work out but I will call Dennis to see if I cannot get some basic pricing per zone as you have mentioned above. He was on vacation in FL when you originally posted.