Irrigation system review befor buying >>

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by platinum, May 13, 2010.

1. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

I have had a couple of qoutes for irrigation systems for my house. I have attached the latest with a parts list and a layout the company was going to use.

Does anyone see anyhing missng or something I dont need for my setup.

What do you feel an accepatable price would be for this installation with parts. If you need to PM Est. pricing that is fine.

thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me more like you're someone trying to get this job
    but you have no clue on how to price it.

That's what it sounds like.
  3. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

Nope, just a homeowner that wants to make sure he is getting the right parts at a decent deal, that's all. The parts list I provided was from a local company but I did not want to post their prices.

I guess what I am looking for is confirmation that the layout provided should be acceptable and that the parts suggested will meet that need. I don't want to get into something and realize i should of had this or that. If I know up front I hopefully can negotiate that into the contract/price.

Thanks for the assistance.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You need to provide a real design.
  5. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

That's what was provided to me, not something I created.

What questions should I be asking the company doing the work to ensure its a solid job.
  6. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

How large is the property? In our old house, we had about an acre covered with an irrigation system and we only had 25 rotors. If I counted correctly, are there 21 rotors? My advice would be to have 4 or 5 quotes ask a lot of questions: why these heads here, why these heads there, brand of the rotors/control box, how is your water pressure, etc. Like I said, I don't install irrigation systems but I asked tons of questions when the irrigation company came to service the system, learning tons. Good luck.
  7. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

I have about 6000 sq/ft including the beds. Water pressure is ~10GPM

I am working on a couple more qoutes.

It looks like Hunter and Rain bird are really the major players in the home space. Is one better over the other. Hunter is what everyone is quoting
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That would be flow. What you need to determine is how much flow you can get at the required pressure for the zone. For example, if you are running standard rotors, you ideally will want to maintain a minimum of 45 PSI at the nozzle.

Hunter products are slightly cheaper than RB. IMO, RB 1800 series spray bodies are the best, next would be Hunter Institutional. If sprays are going to be used, I prefer to see ones with a check and pressure regulated stem, be it Hunter or RB.

BTW, I would consider hiring someone qualified to put together a real irrigation plan, then get bids based on that. That stuff you posted is a joke and I would not walk, but run away from that contractor.
  9. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, looked at it. Still not quite there, but it is way better than the other one.