Irrigation Tech. Landed Big One

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Jun 6, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have a FT irrigation tech. who just goes around fixing irrigation system problems for people in our area. Pretty lucrative part of our company, actually. $110 for the first hour, $70 each additional hour plus we are able to sell all the materials at over 100% markup.

His typical day is go to one house, do a 2 hour repair job. Waste an hour driving to another house do a 1 hour repair job, waste a half hour driving; do a 4 hour repair job. Stuff like that. It's good money, but once in a while we get a big one where he can stay at the same house all day or even several days......and that's what happened today.

One of the customers we have been doing some work for referred us to his boss. Now from the looks of our customer's house, I would have thought HE was the boss. Nice place. And the landscape is incredible. Probably spent $100,000 on the landscape when it was first installed.

So this customer refers us to his boss. And his boss is apparently QUITE wealthy. Not sure we've ever worked for someone this wealthy before. This guy owns what can only be described as a "complex". Gated, coded entry, drive down a long long driveway, through ANOTHER gated, coded entry. Codes to get into the garage, onto each area of the property, codes to get into the box where the irrigation controls, lighting controls, and all the other controls are. Many many acres.

The guy's irrigation system has 2 ESP-LX Controllers and one more 8-Station ESP controller to manage all the 70-80 zones he has. It just goes on and on.

Turns out the guy already loves our work, based on the recommendation of our existing client. And he loved the work my tech. did today. Now he wants nobody but us doing all his irrigation work from now on.

The "property help" and contractors are only allowed on the complex on Thursdays. Otherwise, he does not like to be disturbed on other days. Gates close at 4 p.m. and we all must be gone by 8 p.m. One day a week, only.

So now he wants my tech. there all day every Thursday indefinitely. My tech. says there is just endless work that needs to be done there. Heads that need to be moved out from under plants, heads that need replaced, valve work, new heads needed to be installed, wiring problems, on and on and on.....

Apparently his FT gardener or landscape service isn't adept at irrigation or something.

Anyway, it's kind of nice when you reel in an whale once in a while. :)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yeeee-Hawww!! :drinkup:

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Nice score

4. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

Way to go! :cool2:

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That's incredible. Good for you. Way to make the rest of us feel like crap :laugh:

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you Mister Sunshine.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Boooo, where is my cash cow. :cry:

8. Drives home my point on service calls. Far more profitable to stay on one job all day then waste time, gas, risk accidents, wear and tear on vehicle, etc. That one job alone may pay the tech for the week and the rest is Jim's company's bottom line.payup

9. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess the tech works every Thursday even if there is a twister!

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Cha ching! I always tried to have as much wiggle room possible in my operation just
    in case a "plum" came calling; sounds like you got one..time to go Calsense or
    Rain Master.