1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation Trouble Shooting

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Crimson Lawn, May 20, 2014.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

No kidding, and once you have the blinders on, they can be hard to take off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

I would close the meter completely and reopen it because I've seen irrigation systems not work if the meter is not completely open.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. Isolation valves on either side of it could be partially closed. Because, ya know, that's how to decrease the pressure. Right??? :dizzy:

4. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Got my pressure regulating MV installed. When I talked to the maintenance guy for the building he suggested just closing the gate valve to lower the pressure :hammerhead::hammerhead:

5. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

No movement on the meter, old style with a needle. The meter is beside a busy Highway and I was sitting there thinking what other people were thinking, like "why the heck is this guy just starring at a hole in the ground for" or "that guy must be a city worker, he is not doing nothing". Had to find something to laugh about.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I recently found myself staring at a hole in the ground for a good amount of time.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Now that you've eliminated the meter and ruled out the possibility of another separate irrigation meter you should look at restriction/obstruction. Break the system into sections prior to the properly functioning zones. Since you say alll of the zones are faltering, begin at the first valve and work towards the meter. Test each appliance for function.

Btw, I've spent a large portion of my life staring, most of it in disbelief.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Even worse, when it is in disbelief of something you did. :laugh:

9. Crimson Lawn

That's funny. I still do that.

10. Crimson Lawn

That is even better. The crap I repaired today was just stupid. 7 valves , 12 heads and on and on.