irrigation turns itself on

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by stevenf, Sep 4, 2012.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Just started maintaing a property with irrigation. Recent hurricane made me turn off the irrigation. I have since found out that even with the dial set to off, it turns on and off every Saturday with way to much water. Any suggestions?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

perform a proper electrical analysis of the controller and then post the results.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Could there be a second clock lurking somewhere?

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Easy thing to do, would be to unplug or remove the 110 volt to the controller on Friday. If it turns on, there is another controller source. Are all zones coming on or just a few? Could be some battery operated controllers somewhere.

5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Only one section of the property is turning on. I have searched high and low and havent found a second controller and both president and vice president say there is only one. I am fairly new to irrigation so any beginner diagnose tips will be appreciated.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

buy a multimeter

test volts and ohms

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Then you most likely have another controller on the property. I can't tell you how many customers, home owners, HOA or board members, that we have worked for that think they know where everything is when in reality they are absolutely clueless.

Use the existing controller, and see if it turns on the zones in question. If you can't figure it out, you may need to hire a pro.

8. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be a battery operated controller in a valve box somewhere. Have fun finding that one! Maybe Jim has a 9 volt battery locator.

9. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

you got a battery opp valve.
    i inherited a few, good luck finding it

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

has the guy counted his valves first in reference to the clock?