Irrigation Winterization

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by andyslawncare, Aug 6, 2011.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know its way early for this thread, but I'm always trying to open new niches in the marketplace.

I've been installing and repairing systems for 3 years now. I have had several people ask me about winterization, and I think I can add it as easy irrigation work to my contracted maintenance accounts, and as a selling feature on new installs. If I'm in charge of the start up and shut down, I can be sure that everything is functioning and I could set all timers correctly to abide by water regulations and to water for the correct amount of time.

I was wondering what your technique is for others in zone 7. What all do you include in the service?

Thank you

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

we simoniz the shrubbery

3. andyslawncare

what do you mean by this? Sorry if I'm still a slight bit uninformed by some words.

4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Andy,
    I'm in 7a and all we do is shut off the main and turn the clock off. No need to blowout or any of that crap because no frost line here. I charge a flat rate of $75-100 to start up and shut down. Basically, we go through each zone to ensure heads run properly and fix any issues. Cake..
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

6. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

play some doug clark and the hot nuts......baby let me bang your box......

7. Wet_Boots

8. andyslawncare

As soon as I saw the record in the caption I've been laughing... I didn't know what to expect.

Chocolate covered moth balls are good and babies should start smoking when they are 3? They can't make songs like that anymore... You are obviously very experienced, and I would appreciate more information that is subject relevant if you are willing to share your technique. Thank you for my giggles though, I needed that.

9. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

Michael reno harrell southern suggestions......

10. Wet_Boots

I think most worries in that climate would relate to backflow preventers. Water remaining in above-ground plumbing will freeze just as hard as it will a thousand miles further north.