1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation with a maintenance contract

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Meadowbrook, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have been summoned to bid a chain of stores in & around our area for landscape maintenance. Most of the stores have irrigation systems, all we have to do is turn them on, let 'em go & turn 'em off in the fall & blow out the lines, thats it. The problem is that I don't want to sub out the work to another company to do it since my guys will be at these properties every week, especially for something as simple as this. But the problem is that most of my other properties that have systems have someone else taking care of them, so we never got a hands on of anything with them. Can someone help me out as far as to where the shut-off valves are and anything else I may need for maintenance? Any help is apreciated, I do kinda feel like an idiot asking for help though since I've been doing this for 8 years. lol

2. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Yeah, You can train a monkey to do what we do. It is so easy that even grasscutters can do it.
    Um, I think that the water turn ons for all of your properties are in the mechanical room behind the customer service desks.?.?
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going to play this..& it is a way to build the biz, get into maintaining ALL your
    accounts concerning irrigation..I always depended on my lawn buddies to tip me off when
    problems came up, we got them work..tit for tat, they reciprocated. You can't bid a
    irrigation contract unless the system is working right..gotta fire it up & see what needs to
    be done BEFORE the contract, otherwise they'll hang repairs on your contract! Seen it
    happen, which is why most of us shy away from commercial irrigation maintenance.:nono:
  4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Near the water meter set-up is the best guess without seeing the property. Point taken.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

HAHA! To the left of the broom closet, ask Alice in receiving, she knows where it is.
  6. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you don't get the valve at the fire sprinkler system...