irrigation zone won't come on

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mkarch, Jun 30, 2008.

1. mkarch

mkarch LawnSite Member

I have a 15 year old Toro sprinkler system. I order for my zone 2 to work, I first have to turn off the main water supply to the whole system at the gate valve. Next, at the control panel I turn on zone 1 to bleed the water pressure in the system out thru the sprinkler heads. Once that is done, I turn off zone 1 and then turn on zone 2. Of course, nothing happens because the water supply is turned off. I then go back to the main valve and SLOWLY turn on the water supply to the system (if I turn it on FAST it won't work). Zone 2 will begin to work now. I have replaced the solenoid for zone #2 with a new one to no avail. Someone on the "general questions forum" has told me that the diaphragms for #1 and #2 should be replaced. Why the diaphragm for #1? Help!!!

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a Flo-Pro valve problem. I would replace all the diaphrams with the new style or better yet, replace all the valves.

3. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Suggestion #2 is the winner. Go with a valve that you can depend on, like a DV or even something out of Hunter's bag of tricks.

The only thing worth doing to a FloPro is replacing it.

4. irritation

I've actually had pretty good success with the latest Flo-Pro diaphrams.:confused:

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

That the valve is discontinued is enough.

6. mkarch

mkarch LawnSite Member

There is a new style diaphragm that will fit into this old valve? Please, tell me about it!

7. irritation

It's really not a new style but they used a different compound on the piece that the pin slides on and the lip that fits into the body is thicker.
    Also make sure you have the spring assisted version. The early versions were not and they came out with a kit to correct it.
    I still say replacing them is the best option.

8. Flo Pro Toro's biggest No No. Having said that I'd just repair in your case. If you want to cut them out and honor your system with some irrigation dignity get a pro to do it.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya know, I have Flo Pros here at the house. After diaphragm and solenoid changes a few years back, they do just fine. And I don't recall anything about springs...

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Springs were an attempt to overcome the design shortcomings. It would almost be humorous if they made the stupid thing (somewhat) reliable nearly ten years after it was discontinued.