1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Raskinner, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Raskinner

Raskinner LawnSite Member

I am pumping water out of a creek to my irrigation system. I have 6 zones. The first zone does not shut down completely when going to the next zone. The first three work fairly well, but when it goes to the fourth the pressure drop is so much that it does not work as it should. Also, the lowest most sprinkler heads in the fourth and fifth zones do not rotate.
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

are you filtering the h20? if not you need to make sure you have "scruber" valves which are designed to work w/ the dirtier water and you'll need to check your nozzles for buildup of sediment. the lowest most rotors probably are filled up w/ so much sediemnt they can work since the residual water from the system flows out of them. Also make sure your suction line in the creek isn't sitting on the bottom where it'll sipon in sand and etc.
  3. Raskinner

Raskinner LawnSite Member

I am filtering some. I purchased an additional filter that I plan to install at the pump house. The pipe is off of the bottom but it still picks up sediment.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The "scruber" valves are no longer made, they now make beer for sprinkler
    old timers. "Scrubber" valves are still made, Rain-Bird makes a very cool
    "Automatic Filter Kit" w/ filter, add to a zone @ the controller & flush.
    I think the problem is the location of the foot valve , which should be suspended by a float to avoid "dredging". In murkey conditions, scrubbers
    should be used, tho reverse flow valves seem to take care of the crap, as
    long as your using hi-flow nozzles.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(use maxipaws) :drinkup:
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Or install a QCV system. :drinkup: :drinkup:
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

thank you grammar nazi.
  8. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

The first zone has some trash in the valve. Lake the screws out of the top of the valve and take it apart. Pull the diaphram out (rubber seal) and there should be some trash under there. You may also want to replace it since you have it out. Put it all back together and you will be good to go.
  9. You don't have a Fimco manual indexing valve do you?