Irrigation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by centercut, Jun 25, 2014.

1. centercut

centercut LawnSite Member

So I moved into a new house with a MUCH larger yard. It has a hunter irrigation system, which I'm pretty pumped about.

My yard gets hit with sunlight all day. My question is in regard to irrigation. My old yard was small, but I hit it with my sprinkler heavy every 5 to 7 days. I'd put a tuna can out there to estimate it got an inch of water. With the new irrigation system it takes quite a long time (I have yet to fill a tuna can). So can I get away with more frequent, lighter watering? Or should I still try to hit the yard about once a week with a good inch of water?

Thanks for any input.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

In In SW Florida I only recommend a 1/2" per week for watering turf. And only water from about an hour before sunrise forward. If your new lawn has dry spots monitor the appearance and water only as needed.
    More frequent watering usually ensures a shallow root system and additional weed and disease problems.
    easy-lift guy

3. centercut

centercut LawnSite Member

I'm in MA. There's definitely a large section, zones 1 and 2 that get hammered with sun. So water those zones as needed and water the rest heavy in the early morning?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic