Irrigator installer wanted.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1BadHawk, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I'd like to try and install a sprinkler system in my own yard for two reasons, becuase i could really use one, and secondly to learn the basics. Ive done some research and talked with a friend of mine who installed his own, but could use some professional advice.

What I would like to do , is design it out myself, and have some review it, give me some tips or suggestions. My property is only about 7500 sq ft so installation shouldnt be too terrible difficult.

If your interested in helping, please email me at Rob@perficut.net, and Ill send you the specs and layout design to proof read.

Thanks a bunch.

2. arosewag

arosewag LawnSite Member

Did you get any help?

3. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I think just about every contractor here will agree with me. I've seen over 100 systems installed by homeowners, most were professionally designed. I've seen 1 or 2 that were close to being correct. the rest were so very bad that it just makes me sick to see these people go through all of this hard work and end up with a really bad system in the end. even the best contracotrs will admit that they have had to install dozens of systems before they finally got it right. My best advice would be to find a very good contractor in your area to install the system and ask if it's ok if you folow them around for the day and ask questions when they install it.

4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

You will never learn the basics by trying to do it yourself, I don't care how many books you read or post you submit. There are things about this business that take practical application to get it down. You will end up with something that is going to underperformed or be problematic

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree. While 99% of homeowner installed systems are horrible, I've seen a few that were up to professional par.

There was one guy who did all the research, and picked my brain on install technique, and installed a very nice system.

F6Hawk on here probably did a great job too :)

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

exactly he did not do it himself after consulting with a contractor or as you call it Picking your brain. He did it himself but the 99% that dont ask a contractor, fail in one way or another to produce a satisfactory product.

7. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I havnt done the design yet. Been doing a lot of reading.

What are some common mistakes first timers do , or should avoid doing?

8. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I would seriously search the archives for anything F6Hawk wrote about in the irrigation forums... Wetboots and JonHolland probably replied a combined 500 times to help him set up a nice system... from what I understand it came out pretty nice

(although if I remember correctly he may have admitted later he wishes he would have hired someone to do it because of the amount of work it turned out to be)

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

F6Hawk asked these questions and the threads are LONG. DO a search and read them. If something you READ doesn't make sense, reply to that thread and bring it back to the top. We will be glad to help. I have seen homeowner systems that were fine. Good basic design can be acquired from any of the major manufacturers, and they will do the design work for free. Some areas have guys who will trench or pull your pipe in for you and let you do the "grunt" work. Other times, you are on your own. I haven't done it lately, but I have in the past designed systems and pulled the pipe for the customer. Made the tap to satisfy code and let them do the rest. This normally has been for one of those "friend of a friend of a friend......." kind of deals, but if I can sell the parts at a small profit and get paid for my time and the machine time, it beats not selling a system, and I get to winterize, turn on and backflow test. Sometimes I actually make more money this way. Installation isn't really that profitable.

10. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Common Mistakes Inexpierenced pro's or Homeowners make:

#1, Fixed spray heads on hte same zone as Rotary heads.
    #2 Controller in the basement instead of the garage
    #3 using 3/4" pipe instead of 1" pipe
    #4 rotary heads all nozzled the same
    THere are many many more, but these are the most Common I see