1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Irritated new member!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassworksNEB, Apr 6, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I don't understand why you think you're a "scrub"?
    You said you pay your taxes, you have insurance, and you do good work. So, why do YOU think you're a scrub?
    Do you charge less then everyone else in your market? And if so, WHY?

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I thi the reason that people get some worked up about the "scrub" or "low-baller" is because there are people that do this job FOR A LIVING, and there are people that do it for as you say "fun money". Guys like myself dont have another source of income to fal back on like you seem to and that is why people get all bent out of shape when people are low-ballers....

3. Epic

Now you hit the nail on the head, I feel thats just about right.

4. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

I'm curious would this guy be considered a scrub or lowballer. I keep reading that if you aren't charging 25 to 30 per yard you can't last in this business. Yet this guy has been at it awhile

http://www.justlawns.com

I'm not sure but I think he may have lowered his price this year.

5. GrassworksNEB

GrassworksNEB LawnSite Member
    from NE

Ah finally, we are having a civil conversation on the issue.

I DO NOT consider myself a SCRUB or LOW BALLER!!!

I was simply responding to a classification of my level of business.

I may have mis-interpreted some peoples aspects.

My point in my posting was that since a company is small, that doesn't mean they deserve the title...

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

God! Deal with it already. Let's get on with business instead of pondering on something. There are cut throats in every business. Thouhg I do not agree with it, they fail eventually. If someone wants to work for free then screw them. I know I wouln't. :cool:

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you know for a fact he is still mowing? If he can mow a $20 property in 20 minutes and has many in the area he's doing alright, $60hr is a good mowing rate. If it takes him 45 minutes to mow thats an insane price, which is aroun $25hr thats waaaayyyyyyyy to low. It depends on his situation.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

John,
    Yeah, that's the kind of unprofessionalism we're talking about. I can't believe, that with 20 thousand dollars worth of mowers, that you can't take better care of them than that! Shame on you for getting those machines all grassy like that! This is going to come back on you one of these days! I guess that's what you GET for using them!:D :p

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

John, If you keep showing with those same pics, I'm gonna start calling you "Flex deck":D Sorry, no one deserves that:p . And Brad, I'm only kidding;) ;)

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Fire away Petey, Flex Deck doesn't sponsor here anymore. I did see him in the online users list last night though...

John I think that pic is just awesome!!!