Irritating things that you can't change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pseudosun, Dec 17, 2012.

1. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

This lady/customer never wants landscaping done. She shouts it down. I took her yard when she moved there and she flagged me down. Grass was in the beds originally (a little), but again, she didn't want extra work done. She just wants to put mulch over the grass to make it look like a bed. (FYI - i do minimal landscaping; i'm mainly a mow and go operation). The border grass is gone, and she said to just trim it if grass comes through. Well, you know how that goes - mulch goes everywhere. I tried to talk to her about it 4 or 5 times, and she doesn't want my opinion. So, what she has is layers of grass and mulch. I remulch about twice a year. I even told her that the grass looks fine and she shouldn't cover it with mulch. Or, i could pull out the grass and make a bed and keep it edged out. BUT, i won't do that for nothing, and for some reason, she has a fit when i mention landscaping. I just have to keep building up the mulch and trying to trim it without whipping it all out in the yard. It's ridiculous. I have to say that i've never had this problem with anyone else, never. How high is she going to build up those layers? I told her about the layers, and she looks at me like i'm speaking a different language. You can sort of see where the border grass was. It just irritates me.

2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to distinguis yourself from the half-ass LCOs, do a job correctly or kindly decline the job. Explain that to perspective customers, you either do work the correct way or not at all. The ones who don't want to do the work correctly are probably not worth your time anyway. You can change the irritating things after all!
  3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

The serenity prayer comes in three parts, I will try and explain it a little:

God, grant me the serenity to accept ALL the things I can not change for there exist so many,
    the courage to change those things within ME so as to better be able to accept those things I can NOT change,
    AND then I try and remember that part about the wisdom to know the difference, especially around women, oh boy oh boy.

I get it too, folks who come in acting like they want all that but some time later it turns out they only wanted the champagne but are unfortunately on a beer budget...

Nickel getting in the way of a dollar.

Experience has taught me two things:

1. Either accept what it is, how it is, goes along the lines of the customer is always right...
    It's not so difficult, after this many years, to accept that the customer pays my bills, what they want, how they want it, I don't have to like it or agree with it, all I have to do is do it, leave a bill, get paid, smile, say thank you, and have a nice day.

2. Or as was pointed out, I have been known to mention that we should either do it right or not at all, and if they balk I learn quickly do NOT bring that up again. Now I can either go back to 1 or I can politely decline the job.

It's between those two, that one with the mulch, I could probably go either way.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Just spray it with a little gloysophate every now and then.
  5. pseudosun

Yes, it does make me look bad when people see that mess. The problem is that she WON'T pay to have it done correctly. Right now, i need the dough, so i just follow orders. I can usually get my point across to customers, and make things look better.
  6. pseudosun

yes, i may spray for my peace of mind. It will be on my dime though.
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i would spray it with roundup too. that will keep the grass out of the beds. simple and easy.
  8. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful about wind dwift with the glyco since it sounds like this lady would have a riot if a plant died.

Let it be a lesson to you in the future to tactfully educate the customer why throwing mulch over hearty grass is unacceptable. Let them know your company will not partake in doing things the wrong way. If that doesn't work, I guess it comes down to how bad you need the money and headache.
  9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It is unfortunate but due to the nationwide drought the price of gly has gone through the roof because it is so destructive they really don't want us using it anymore... And that may not be exactly how it goes, but it has gotten expensive.
  10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

From the looks of that picture it might cost about 50 cents in Gly. Also, covering grass with mulch won't hurt anything. It will decompose and turn to soil but weeds and grass will still invade if not kept sprayed or manually pulled. That is why we call it maintenance.