irritrol 205 diaphragms

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Aug 1, 2006.

1. A pic of a irritrol 205 failure - date code all of the valves - 1902.
    1 zone would not close, I have seen this before so I changed them all.
    anything in the 02 and 03 have these diaphragms, soft seals...

1902.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

This sort of 'rubber escaping its boundaries' can happen in other devices, like an RPZ.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If anyone remembers my post a few months ago about a valve not closing -- that was the problem. Apparantly irritrol tried to get away with thinner cheaper diaphragms and oops they didnt work. Replaced with hunter valve and no problems.

4. Wet_Boots

The rubber in plastic valves has been a possible problem for decades. Richdel R204 (the original model number) diaphragms could fail the same way. I'll bet a softer seal contributes to reduced water hammer.

5. The softer rubber seal was used so that a 205 could be used in a low volume drip application. If you ever have used a 205 with low drip volume you would have to crank the flow control down so the valve would close. I spoke with the design engineer at toro/irritol about the reason for the softer seals. They did not take into account the fact that high pressure and flow would rip the seal. That is why they went back to a harder compound and gave up on the low volume drip application.

The only one that failed in the pic above was the one that ripped, the others still closed full even with the seals coming out.

6. Wet_Boots

The Richdel failures were from before any involvement with Toro or drip applications. I'll bet harder seat washers were one reason that old brass valves could hammer so much.

These rubber compounds are a whole different animal than PVC or ABS - a lot more difficult to use as precisely as are harder plastics. Long-term behavior is also less certain (hello Flo-Pro)

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of bugs showed up in Irritrol products after Toro bought them out. :)

8. Sure did, I had used 205's since 91 and never had a diaphragm fail by ripping until the 02-03 change. After speaking with the engineer, I informed the other suppliers of irritrol(STI & JDL) about the problem and they did not even know. I still get mad about having to go and repair these crappy diaphragms since I take much pride in my systems. Irritrol even misrepresented the date codes on the valves because I even went around and replaces over a 100+ diaphragms on systems I had installed in the dates given to me, even out of warranty valves.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Lack of concern by Toro is one of the main reasons we've switched away from Toro sprinklers except for the 570s and 300s. Now... if Rainbird or Hunter would develop a top-of-the-line spray pop-up that would slip into a Toro 570 bucket (kind of like what Rainbird did with the Hunter PGP) I'd be willing to stop using the 570. The 300 is a different case though because I consider its motor to be one of the best on the market. When they stop rotating from grit plugging enough stream ports a quick change of the nozzle and it's working again.