Irritrol Century Plus failure

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We installed this valve as part of a condo complex expansion two years ago, I stopped by yesterday to adjust a different zone and noticed that this valve had cracked.

Its a 2" valve, we are running around 80 GPM and 100 PSI. The crack actually happened on the downstream side in the arrow that indicates flow. Its cracked all the way through.

We didn't overtighten the TOE nipple either.

[​IMG]

For those that use this valve a lot, is this a regular or unusual failure? We have been installing 2" Rainbird PESB valves for the last two years because of the scrubber function (Lots of our large sites use non potable water) and haven't seen any failures.

I'm going to replace it with a standard angle configuration PESB on tuesday.

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed looking at the pic at the side angle the inlet and outlet are ofset just a little. Do you think when it was installed, when you backfilled it there may have been more pressure pushing one of the pipes because of the ofset. And that has lead to the cracking on one side.

I know when we install a new system. We will back fill by hand all the valves and sometimes all the Ts and 90 joints just to keep the loader from breaking them.

3. Dirty Water

We installed it in angle configuration as the mainline is around 4' deep.

We also handbackfill around heads and valves...when we do trench.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We've used nothing but this valve for over 40 years on our Irritrol MC-Plus controllers. I've had a crack at that point exactly one time... when I over-tightened the TOE nipple. :)

5. PurpHaze

That's the way they've always been for the "globe" configuration. We try to always use the "angle" configuration because there is less pressure loss through the valve and we're normally coming up from a deep main line.

6. Dirty Water

I don't think I overtightened it, I may have, but I did this one myself, and I don't usually crank those down much.

However, good to hear it isn't common, as we have a dozen or so of those in the ground at that site.

7. PurpHaze

I can't guarantee that there won't be some type of problem showing up. When the valve was Hydro-Hardie-Irritrol prior to Toro buying the company out they were much more dependable across the board on their manufacturing standards. Now... :nono:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hardie had started mucking about with some of the established designs, to their detriment. This was on Richdel valves.