Irritrol PC Control

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by regularguy, Jul 3, 2007.

1. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner with a large two acre lawn with 15 irrigation zones and 105 Hunter PGP sprinkler heads, currently I use two different controllers to control the 15 zones and it does occasionally cause problems.

I would like to use a control system operated by a PC from the Internet like the Ware Brothers controller did before they went out of business, I travel a great deal and it would be helpful to have that type of control. Right now I am looking at the Irritrol PC Controller http://www.irritrol.com/pccontrol/ as a possible solution to my issues. So my question is since this product is marketed to the professional that frequently makes adjustments to customers irrigation schedule do you find this product useful and reliable? I doubt that anyone in this group would have experience with the PC interface as that would be used by the homeowner I believe but if someone does have some experience please let me know. I did attempt to do a search on this topic and did not find much information concerning this product.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

From what I understand about that controller it does not allow for direct internet access to the controller, only on-site access from your computer.

Best bet for the type of control your looking for at a reasonable price is looking into some of the home automation solutions.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

"as a possible solution to my issues" ~ what issues, exactly, are you concerned with?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

5. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

We have a few of these units installed. No way to control it from the internet as you have to have the remote within radio range. Its not a bad controller, but unless your system is 100% up-to-par wiring-wise, it will give you problems. It is very picky on it.

Irritrol still has some issues to work out with it (PC program is not the best, remote isn't that powerful, etc.) but still not too bad.

.mz

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

7. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

Really I guess that my issues are that I am a control freak and I want to be able to mess with things at home even when I'm not in the same state. I do also sometimes have issues with the two controllers running on top of each other (at the same time) because of errors on my part.

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The Irritrol is potentially controllable from the internet if you use something like PC Anywhere, however most homeowners probably won't allow that, I know I wouldn't.

[quote[I do also sometimes have issues with the two controllers running on top of each other (at the same time) because of errors on my part.[/quote]

Make sure the controller has stacking. Most, if not all, Hunter controllers offer this.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

10. taylor88

taylor88 LawnSite Member

I came accross one called PC Timer. From the looks of it you could control it from your computer and the Internet. Here is the address www.gwytech.ca It is only 8 zones not sure if multiple units can be used together.