IRS Random Audits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The IRS will start doing random audits this year. I hope this means they will start doing something about all those lawncare people who run illegal out there. But this mean also that even the tax paying LCOs may be audited. I dont yet understand why this type of auditing would be better. They say it will cut down on unneccessary audits. Anybody got more info on it? How about just auditing people who dont pay anything? Now that would make sense to me

2. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

I believe they are just auditing Form 1040s. I do not think they will be going over schedule Cs. I will look for the information and try to post it.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Random means just that. Legit biz, scrub, and Charles alike :alien:

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

One reason the IRS does random audits is that is one of their means of developing statistic about trends, where mistakes & cheating are taking place, etc.

They used to do audits where they check every single item on the return to gather this same information. They have suspended that program for now.

Information from the audits they do helps them to decide what types of audits to concentrate on, thus the random audits.

They will still continue to pick returns for audited based on certain information that might stand out on the return.

As far as just auditing 1040's, not schedule C's, the schedule C is just part of the form 1040, if they audit a return, they might look at any part of it or all of it.

They generally will have some area they are concentrating on but if they see something that looks out of line in other areas, they will look at those too.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My local paper reported they they will mostly be concentrating on over $100,000 earners.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Guess I'm safe then!:mad: :D :confused:

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Let 'em audit. Doesn't bother me at all.

8. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

The article that I read stated the lions share were going to be situations where AGI went from user 100K to over 100K. I also believe that was going to focus on non-schedule c's.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mr. jones--as a veteran of the IRS AUDIT, in my experience, I can assure you that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

if you have had better audit experiences than me then you are lucky.

the IRS not only audits your 1040 but also any schedule you file as well as your lifestyle.

and by that I mean if you are claiming taxable income and your lifestyle exceeds that income they don't stop till they figure it out.

I live to hear all the breast beating about shoving it up the IRS ass in an audit. yeah right.

GEO

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

kinda believe that man knows what he is talkin about.