Is $1,200 a good price?

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Ned5485, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am needing to get a bigger trailer this year. I found a used 18 x 8 deck over trailer for $1200. It has two 3500lb axles, but no brakes. It does not have a ramp or gate either. Everything seems to be in good working condition. The owner says it has new lights, wiring, jack, and floor. The tires are about 80%. I have only been looking for a trailer for a little while, but the price seems good to me.

What do you guys think? If I miss out on this one, what do you think I should expect to pay for this size/set up? Also, How much will it cost me to get brakes on 1 axle, and a gate, or more likely ramps?

And I was wondering what I could expect to get for my current trailer. It is a double axle 6.5 x 12 with wood floor and a fold down gate. It is just the standard open landscape/utility trailer. The same kind that you see 90% of people using.

Thanks,
    Ned

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

You better check the weight class see it its legal for you to pull

3. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

What do you mean? What about its weight limit makes a trailer legal or illegal? It is supposedly rated at 7,000lbs, but just found out there is a whole other mess of problems. One of which is there is no paperwork or title.

4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Its what you truck is rated to pull

5. Sundancekid74

Sundancekid74 LawnSite Member

No title/No deal. You have to have a title to be legally registered and tagged. With no brakes, no gate, and no title I would offer about $650. What in the world are you gonna do with a trailer with no title? You would have to say it is homemade and be prepared to have a dot agent or state boy come check it for approval. You can get a title from MVA for a homebuilt trailer; like I said dot or stateboy will come verify. $650 tops; you might steal it for somewhat less. For all you know it may be stolen.

6. pcgovols

pcgovols LawnSite Member

Let me know when you are interested in getting rid of your trailer.

7. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ned& pcgovols, I may be able to help out with trailers as we have switched to flat bed trucks

Jim

8. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Yeah, the lack of title pretty much made me lose interest. I had to go through all those hoops with th state several years ago with a $40 trailer I bought at a garage sale. I didnt find out there was no title on this one until after I posted.

You think $650 is reasonable for that trailer? I am not going to buy it.(your right it could very well be stolen) But, I will need one that big failry soon, and I figured I was going to pay alot more than $650. Or, is $650 because of no title?

9. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

PCGOVOLS,

How soon do you need one? It has no brakes. I definitely will need to sell it when I get a new one. What kind of offer can you make?

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 7 x 14 open trailer thats only been used a few times, its like new I bought it for $1700 and selling it for $1200.00. I was able to fir to ZTR on it and a push mower