is 10.31 sq ft too much to charge for excavation

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TIMELESS, Jun 7, 2008.

1. TIMELESS

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

client needs a area excavated that is 20x12 ...thinkin 6" crush run and 1.5" stone dust...total bid for the area(no flagstone) 2672.35? Thank you so much for your help! youve been instrumental in myself and companys growth!

2. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

How much time and materials will you have tied up in the job?

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How much does it cost for you to say that you are a company each day?

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

20 x 12 sounds like a flagstone patio off the guys house. Do you know what the ground/soil conditions (clay, rock, ledge) are? Are you hauling off excavated material, or is it getting lost somewhere on the property? Are you solo? Doing it by hand, or machine? How's access to the site? With excellent conditions to all mentioned above you should be out of there in a day. $2,400 pay day sounds good to me. With suck conditions to all or even a few of the conditions mentioned above it could take a few days. If your solo and it takes 3 days......800 bones is a day is pretty damn good. Why aren't you laying the flag?

5. TIMELESS

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

The client wants to lay the stone because he is handy...probably wants to tell his friends he made it...i would too :) the area of lawn is flat, away from the house about 5 ft, and there are absolutely no trees in the yard...its in an older part of town so the soil should be in good condition (no cut area soil)

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

He is getting a fair price in my mind, if you prep the base correctly his work (wether good or bad) probalbly won't get any worse over the years. Sounds like a one day job with minimal expense as long as you don't have to pay for disposing of materials. Now if you could find a place on site to dispose and not have to clean up your site access then likely you could go cheaper still.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

when excavating, estimate by cubic yard, not sqaure foot as there is a great deal of cost difference on how DEEP you go.