1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is 12' trailer big enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tadams, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Here'e my situation: Right now I have a 48 " Exmark Turf Tracer hp but I am going to buy a 52" Lazer hp next month. I am planning on keeping the 48 but I might trade it in for a 36" (depends on what type of trade I can get or if I can find someone to buy it).
    My question is will the 48 TTHP and the 52 Lazer hp both fit in a 12' trailer without being too crammed together?
    Thanks for all answers. This sits has really helped me in starting up my business!
  2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

If you only mow and never need wheelbarrows, tarps, racks for chemicals, trash cans, hand tools etc, you will get buy with a 12ft...I have similar equipment as you...plus the landscape tools....and I have a 14 enclosed....just yesterday I was moving all my stuff to another storage location and it was clear once again I should have bought a 16...the cost is not much more...for me the issue was that we often get into tight spots and I wanted to keep the length of everything as short as possible...something else to remember...even though your stuff will "fit" in a 12, because it is enclosed you will have to be able to walk in there to get stuff...wont be like the open where you just reach in...so if everything is crammed in there, you will constantly be banging your shins, ankles, head, and other body parts....I would stronly suggest at least a 14...I would do a 16 if I knew then what I know now.........sorry after reading this again I dont think you mentioned enclosed....I'm still asleep I think
  3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

It is an open trailer. Idon't know if I stated that or not. But I see where you are coming from.
  4. just Cuts

just Cuts LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a 5'x12' trailer with a 48 john deere and a new toro 36 with trimmer rack and blower rack and it is perfect!!!!!!!!!I paid 850.00 for it brand new and it has oversized tires. You might want to go with the 6'x12' not much more.:cool:
  5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My TThp with sulky attatched with my Lazer Z with bagger installed pulled behind TThp on a 16' open trailer gives me about 5 inches between rear of bagger and ramp. Remove or pull up sulky on TT, and no bagger on Z, it will work on a 12' trailer.
  6. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I just sold a 5x12 a couple days ago.it hauled 1w/b,1garden tractor,1 pushmower.had to hall other push mower in back if truck.5x12 is to small.Go with a 7x16 duel axle,you wont out grow it,that little chevy will pull it just fine.;)
  7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I would go bigger, cuz if you grow your already there, could mean a bigger truck though, but would probably need that too, I'm at the point now in business is my attutude is bigger is better, I learned the hard way, but thats a whole differant topic.
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if i was you, i would definately get a 16 ft. When i first started out i bought a 5 by 10 big tex. By the end of the season, i decided i needed a rider. So i didnt plan too far ahead, and sold that trailer and bought an 8 by 14 ft enclosed v nose trailer. the trailer suits my needs, but i wish i had 2 more feet. get the biggest you can afford, because you will fill that space up in no time.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a classic example. I started with a 6x12, single axle, expanded and outgrew it in 1 yr. Now I have a 6.5x16, dual axle. There is a big difference between your equipt. just"fitting" on your trailer and your equip. fitting with room to spare. Trust me you will more than likely grow. GET THE 16 FT!!!
  10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I use a 6x12ft trailer with a 52inch Turf Tiger and a 52inch WB. Both fit on the trailer but their is little floor space. If you have the money, sell the 12ft trailer and buy a 16ft open, we looked last year at 16ft and they are about $1800 at one place we went, problem is my truck's a bit small. Saving up for a 16ft enclosed and doing payments on a dumper hopefully later this year.:rolleyes: