1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is 1200-1600 hours alot on a mower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by horseman201, Feb 24, 2002.

1. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

Is 1200-1600 hours on a mower with 20 hp alot of hours? I hve 2-3 different mowers I am looking at and I don't want to get a piece of junk. If the thing is on its last leg I would rather get something else.
  2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

not necessarily. what is more important, is how well the mower has been maintained. is the deck in good shape? if it is a hydro unit, does it turn easily, and not shake when turning? do the hydraulics leak? things of that nature.

a compression test is one way to tell the condition of the mower engine. someone else here would be better suited to define what the ratio on a compression test should be. im not qualified to answer that, but after many years in the business, i can tell just by sound if a motor is starting to go.

at our local shop, ive heard of mowers with 500 hours burning up, on the other hand, we had a ZTR we bought which was originally a demo get over 3000 hours on it before any engine problems.

around here we average 30 mows in a season lets say the mower runs 30 hours a week.

30 x 30 +900 hours in a season just a ball park estimate, but you get the idea.

you might want to tell what kind of mower it is, and also what engine too. possibly even the asking price as well.

keep in mind also, that an hourmeter can simply be disconnected, and then reconnected when someone decides to sell it.

do the people selling the equipment have any maintenance records.

does the oil smell burnt?

hope this is of some use, and good luck

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Maintenance is the key. Have a shop check it out.
  4. I just bought 2 used mowers 13xx and 17xx hours.

So to answer your question I have another ZTR with over 4000 I bought new.

Keep up with the maintenace and she will take care of you.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Is That Your Lazer With The Peco Wiyh 4000 Hours:eek: Johnny G.:cool:
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

what these other guys said . also depends on what motor.
    a good commercial motor can still have some life w that many hrs.
    still u dont know what maintenance its had.just 200 hrs in the wrong mans hands and u have changed rings ,to the point that
    u cant overcome it. my experience has been that if i can get an engine before it starts using oil. i can get it to run on. later now an good luck.
    ps of course look for white smoke on a cold engine thats the first bad sign ,my opinion.
  7. Yes
  8. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

O.K. The mower I am looking at is a Walker with a 20 hp Kolar. Haven't seen it because it is for sale on this site. Has anyone bought anything like a mower on this site before?
  9. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

I have bought several items from this site with no regrets. Distance is the key. I must look and touch the equipment before I make an offer. It just depends on how far you want to drive. There are some good deals here.