Is 15 hp big enough

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Jan 10, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Toro t-bar Koehler, hydros, 52", with 800 hrs. Is this enough guts for mower & Hydro? To me this sounds a little under powered but can be had for $1800. What do y'all think?

2. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

Ive got a Toro,that had a 18 v and when it blew i replace it with a 15 and in the tall grass it has some problems.

Kane

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i wonder myself about the ferris 48" SD hydro. i want to pick one up but 13 HP?????????

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We have greater potential for wetter mowing conditions than favorable here in our area, so I opt for at least a 17hp on 52 wb and at least a 15hp on any 48 wb.

So far I have not been disappointed.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

gotta a 48"17hp scag-wish it had bigger.a little high grass and my 220 being drug behind it,25hp wouldn't be tooo much!:p

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52"17Kaw and their is plenty of power on this thing. :D
    Id say for a 52" a 15hp is ok, gonna start noticing problems going up hills with a velkie on it or cutting heavy wet grass. Plus with 800 hrs on it, the engine is a bit worn so its gonna show its powerloss alittle more than a new motor. Demo it out and see.
    Matt

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 15 on a Toro ProLine Hydro and it is not a problem. The thing is a single cylinder Kohler and it has good power. It used to tow my 200lb ***** around on a Pro-Slide too while spinning doubles so it has to be good. I have put about 500 trouble free hours on it so far and will keep it forever. It aint the fastest but it is the most reliable. Good Luck.

8. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a hydro toro proline 44" with the 15 twin kaw on it and it doesnt have any problems, Seems fine to me.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I think that if you were discharging or bagging, you'd be okay. I have an Exmark 36" TTHP with a 15Hp Kawi and it never bogs down when I mulch the tall stuff, it just doesn't always give a quality cut in those conditions. I think 15Hp is a little skimpy for a 52" but I'll think you'll do fine in most normal conditions.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well "KID":p, if you want to mow with the big dogs, you really want at the least, 17. 17 will take doubles and heavy grass, but not heavy and wet......Hmmmmmm, actually "I'll" take "Heavy and wet":D