1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is 15 hp enough?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by chuskey, May 6, 2004.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I'm thinking about taking the plunge this weekend and seeing about getting a wb. I've got my eye on a 48" 15 hp for just under 4k new. The 17 hp is 1k more. I'm not thinking that 2 hp is worth 1k. Will 15 be enough on a 48" deck. BTW, I'm talking about the Hustler wb of course :) Thanks.
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 37 Wb with the 15 hp and I wouldnt try to run an extra 11 inches of deck with it. Buy the 17 so you wont be sorry later.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the 15 will be fine as long as you aren't cutting grass that extremly high on the day to day basis. For the money difference you would be better off to buy the 15hp. I have two 15hp mowers that I bought earlier this year and love them! I also have several 18hp and 20hp also and there isn't that much difference in power as long as your not cutting grass that is really high.
  4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

See if you can get a demo with both mowers and compare them. I have 25 horsepower running a 54’’ deck and if I could have got thirty I would have done so.