is $15 to much per hr.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jonathan bradley, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Jonathan bradley

Jonathan bradley LawnSite Member

Hi, i recently went up to $15 for yard work, and $20 for leaf jobs. some of my customers don't seem to happy about me going up so i'm wondering if i'm charging to much. I work as fast as I can and have some pretty good equipment to get the job done fairly fast. I live in clarksville,TN. Thanks

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

wait, just trying to understand here.

say you do a leaf cleanup job that takes you 3 hours, you are using your blower, rakes tools etc... correct? if it takes you 3 hours you bill them for $60?

if what i said above is correct, then your rates are way too low! 20 an hour is more like what you'd charge for just your manual labor depending on your area. then you need to add to that cost for using your tools, gas to get there, haul off (or whatever you do with it)

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

most services cost $50-$75 per hour. Look at mower shops, auto repair shops, hair salons ($15 for a 15 minute hair cut= $60 an hour) and the rule applies to just about everything else. Why not in the lawn care service?

4. njones

njones LawnSite Member

i charge $30 per hour at least for any thing that has gas i salted side walks today $30 per hour plus salt me i have my 3 riders going i get at least $200 per hour you way to cheap

5. Jonathan bradley

Jonathan bradley LawnSite Member

in response to what was said up top yes $20 per hr. includes everything but haul stuff off. for hauling stuff off I charge $50 per load + land fill fee keep in mind they pay me for loading the trailer, but very little because it takes no time. it cost me 9 dollars round trip to land fill and back.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Twenty per hour for lawn work and 15 for leaf work!? As bad as my area is that is way to cheap! You are less than half what I charge for anything. If you have insurance and license and with the cost of gas you can't do if for that. For what its worth, my first few months in business I also charged the same exact rates as you, had 3 times as many accounts as I have now, and was not any better/worse off than I am now. Actually, had I not had 2 years of bad luck would have been better off now with a third of the accounts.

7. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

that's way to less, even if u don't have insurance or a license. if u have professional equipment u must charge at least $30 -$35 an hour fro mowing and like $45 and hour for leaf clean up

8. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Good for you. Those rates should make you alot of money.

9. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Funny thing is he will have more jobs then any of us with those prices, but he still won't be making enough money to live. I agree with everyone above, your prices are way to low.

10. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I'm guessing Jonathan is a kid just trying to make extra cash, am I right?