1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

is $18 an hour too much

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bingham Brothers, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

Is a good crew leader worth $18 an hour? I am adding a second crew this year and want someone good- one crew will be residental and one commercial. I can't believe I'm even thinking of paying someone $18 when 2 years ago i was mowing by myself- kinda freaks me out a little.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think so ... you'll get what you pay for !! If you pay a good wage, then you can have your pcik of the best, simple as that.

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

What time would you like me to report in tommorow? Four,5 AM? I guess I have lived here so long can't imagine a job that pays 18 per hour! I do feel though you get what you pay for, a well paid employ/supervisor should give you 100%. H*ll, for 18 I would give 150%!

5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wow thats alot of money?how many workers are in the crew?

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

Last year I was a part time crew leader for a local company. I got $17 an hour and loved every minute of it. You will get what you pay for though. Having another crew going will more than pay his paycheck though. Be sure they are productive even though the real boss man isnt there.

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have paid HELPERS $20/hr cash and still cannot keep quality guys around....At this point I dont think there is a dollar amount I could pay someone to take out MY equipment and represent my business.

I have been rolling solo and just charging more and loving it.....I do have a guy or two that I can call on for bigger jobs though...

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that is pretty average, but you better be sure he is productive or you will lose money. there should be upfront and very clear and realistic quotas in place

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really out of line for this area, but may be, depending on the geographic area you're in. Bigger cities would require higher pay to get the same quality of person.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

it really depends on the area. i have 2 foremen who do maint only and are paid $22.50 an hour.