1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is 19HP Enough

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeg2246, Apr 17, 2005.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I am going to buy a ZTR mower in the next month or so. I have decided on the Toro over a scag and the dixie chopper. I am in Florida do mostly 1/4 acre to 1.5 acre yards. Going with a 48" cut for maneuverability purposes.
    My question - Is 19HP enough.
  2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

19 HP is sufficient for that size deck but no larger providing you're not cutting very tall grass and it's not real hilly. I don't recommend the soft bagger with the side impeller that Toro offers for that mower as I have a Toro ZTR with a 52" deck and a 23 HP Kawasaki and when you engage the PTO the extra drag of that empeller really pulls down the RPM's and sometimes it kills the engine completely. I thought Toro offered 44" and 52" decks. I haven't heard of the 48".
  3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

My 20 with 52 deck walker is fine, altho I want the 31 coming out this summer for increased ground speed and 62 inch deck (which I can switch out on a walker with my other decks). Our new Hustler WB is 17 with a 54 and cut thru some wet thick grass this week, and did mighty fine. Usually more horsepower than that is overkill, but I imagine it depends on the type grass you are mowing, and how wet you mow it.
  4. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

For wet grass in the summer in Fla you will be better off with more HP. We run 23 Kawa and sometimes could use more power.
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I bought the Toro Z449 series. 52" deck, 19hp kaw, turbo force deck. I have mowed in wet and tall conditions and have not had a problem. Cuts nice and fast.
  6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

15 hp is excellent on my walk behind with 48" deck.
  7. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I changed my mind about the mower choice. I am going with a Scag Tiger Cub. It has the 19HP Kawi, but, with a 250 ft/lb PTO clutch vs 175 ft/lb on the Toro, it handled the wet grass and engaging the blades with very little drag. I am going to have a bout 20 accounts. I think it will be fine. It would have cost me another $1500 to go to a 52" deck with the 23HP motor. Just having a hard time justifying the extra dollars.
  8. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

My 23 hp mower is not enough in the growing season.
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I looked at an Exmark Lazar Z AS this one came with a 48 or 52" deck and had a 25hp Kawi or he said he could also get a 27hp Koh. for additional $$$'s.
  10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have an 18hp kohler on my lazer hp and it does fine. I don't have very many hills, and the ones I do have, I use the walkbehind. unless your cutting a foot of grass off regularly, you'll be fine with the 19 hp.