Is .20 per sq.ft. too high?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harry0, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Just bid a seed job and customer said I was way high. I usually bid jobs time and material. Prep work includes lime application and final grade-screened topsoil is there and 80%spread-Skid loader on site for 1 day-I apply starter fertilizer and will slit seed both directions at high rate. We do 2 or 3 jobs like this a year. This is the first time I figured out my cost per sq. ft.-This job is 11000sq. ft. total job-$2200.cost per sq ft..20 What do you think-am I charging out the wazoo or what?I might still get this job who knows. I came highly recommended.-Thanks Harry
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Ive had problems similar to this, because the person didnt understand what they were paying for. There are a couple of outfits in my area that charge next to nothing for aerating seeding . They punch a few holes with a worn out aerator, scatter a handful of seed and leave. Once I explain that I dethatch, mow and bag, aerate-two/three passes, apply lime if needed , starter fert, slit-seed , they understand that there is a difference in what I do and what they do. Try to educate them.
  3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well, we charge $1600 or so to finsh grade,Harley rake and Hydroseed (Finn) 11000 sq. Hope this helps
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're not high, Harry...I would have been around $2500 give or take a little (more like take).
  5. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

When I did a search i saw prices like-.04 and .08and I thought, do these guys have insurance to pay and all the other overhead. I guess it is true what i was told once,"If someone dosen't complain about your prices you are not charging enough"Thanks guys-Harry
  6. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

You are only too high if you don't get the job. In my area, I would never get jobs priced like that, but every area is different. I finish grade, harley rake, seed and straw one acre for $1000, or finish grade, harley rake, hydroseed for $1600. I am considered a little high in my area. Many in my area are charging $750 to finish grade, seed and straw. I make money at those prices, and won't get work if I go much higher.