1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is 22' X 32' too small for 1/2 b-ball court?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Feb 1, 2005.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a area all leveled in this back yard & it looks as if it will be large enough, but I was wondering what size other 1/2 basketball courts are
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it would be an ok size. We have a 24' X 24' court and it gives enough room.
  3. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

Residential basketball courts can be any size that fits in that location. Not many back yards can handle a 50'x90' full court. What you need to find out is if they want a 3 point line. If not your fine. If they want it your going to have to widen the court.

Are you planning to use concrete or asphalt. Both have 30 day cure periods and asphalt is much easier to coat than the concrete.

Let me know if you need any further help. We have a sports surfacing division that builds basketball and all other type of synthetic sport surfaces.
  4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

32' is an ok length if they're just going to be playing half court games, but a 22' width is way too small. With the hoop right in the middle, 11' would be the longest shot they could take. If I misunderstood the court orientation and you have it the other way around that's still only 16' for shot along the baseline, and the 22' length is a bit of a limitation too. If these are just little kids playing I guess it'd be ok, but if you're talking about high school or college age kids going at it, you're probably going to need close to 30' for length and close to the full 50' for width.
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Your rite, I think I do need to make it a little wider. I can add another 5' on the upper side. Kids will be using this for recreation. I will be using concrete on this one

Jackson basketball court 006.jpg

Jackson basketball court 003.jpg
  6. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

Build it as big as the area allows, and let them worry about whether it works. The court is limited by the yard, so they should understand the situation. Build, make money and move on. There is no mystery to it. The yard determines the size.