1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is 27 Kohler underpowered?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ToroLandscaper, Jul 16, 2006.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question soon or at the end of the year i WILL be buying a hustler..nothing in the world could change my mind after seeing what a good job you do on here and with adressing everyones problems as quickly as possible..it WAS between exmark and hustler..well compare hustlers forum to exmark and hustlers deck to exmark hustler fixed the problem quickly exmark is still scratching there heads...hustler wins both! Back to my original question is the 27 kohler underpowered for a 60" Super Z. Seems like some people may think so and if so how bad..everyone says look at the 28efi but money is a object! Right now i have a 27hp with a 52" deck (toro) and i have never really bogged it down so how underpowered can a 60" be???
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 27 is a top seller, if not the overall top seller in the Super Z.
    I personally don't think it is underpowered, but I am not on the seat 6 + hours a day.
    Why not think about the 30?, it is up and coming on our top selling list and it is only $200.00 more than the 27 at MSRP.
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and get the 28 efi, I have had two 27's and there is absolutely no comparison you would be sick if you bought the 27 and then had a chance to run a 28 efi. Think about it like this my dealer sells the same Hustler with the 28 efi being the only difference for $600.00 more and with the price of gas and the difference in productivity you will have that difference paid for in a very short period of time. I know you are thinking how can it be more productive well I can tell you I don't have to slow down in grass that would pull the rpm's down on the 27's I had before and I am using the 66" XR-7 and it does not scalp the same places my 60" decks did, so by being able to cut without the rpm's falling back the way it does on a carburetor type engine your deck performs better and you can cut faster, just common sense. I would never buy a engine on a Hustler or any other 60" + decked mower that did not have at least a 28 efi or preferably more hp that is fuel injected.
  4. ToroLandscaper

PuupyPaws here the price my dealer gave me for a super z 60" 27 Kohler XR7-8599.00 how does that sound...also i am goin to bite the bullet and keep my 52" until the season is over and hopefully they will go on sale a little...the only real reason i am selling the toro is the hill holding ability..it has NONE! How well does your Z hold hills?
  5. puppypaws

My dealer is $8599.00 on the 28 efi 60" XR-7 and $7999.95 on the 27 60" XR-7. I do not know how big your dealer is and that has a lot to do with it but it sounds like there might be a little more room for a better deal I just don't know his situation.
  6. puppypaws

I'm sorry I did not answer the rest of your question I just wasn't paying attention. I don't think there is another zero turn mower on the market that can stay on slopes any better than a Hustler can, I have a friend that looked at a couple of steep banks I mow and he asked me how I cut them. I said I drive straight up the slope turn left or right and mow, he said you are crazy and I said come over one day and you can watch. The banks are so steep when I start up them the mower has to be moving pretty good or it will hang on the small wheels on the back of the mower and it has to be dry or even the Super Z will try to slide.
  7. ToroLandscaper

I talked to tocoma200 and he gave the name of your dealer and his so i will try to get my dealer to match the prices both of your dealers gave
  8. Z-Man

Z-Man LawnSite Member

What engine is you finally get?