Is 3/4 Submersible big enough?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JTHutch, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. JTHutch

    JTHutch LawnSite Member
    Posts: 115

    This is my problem. I have a customer who has an older 1.5 HP above ground pump. It will not hold it's prime and is hard to prime to get started. I took apart the intake and out put and believe there is an air leak in the pump itself. Should I junk it? I have a 3/4 hp submersible to replace it with. The other part is there is no irrigation system. I'm designing and installing that next. This pump was just running 1 fauset and nothing else. I'm going to install a system with 5-7 zones. I'm looking to have 4 or 5 zones of roters and 1 zone of sprays. 1 or 2 zones of drip. I know I need to check my gpm and all that jazz but before I install all of this I was just curious if a 3/4 sub will do the job? And please be gentle!!*trucewhiteflag*
     
  2. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 48,003

    Find out the capacity of the well. (is this a well?) Do that first.
     
  3. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,858

    Yes a 3/4 hp submersible should be good. Where's this going in at? in town you will have PLENTY of water available in the well, if it's in the sandhills somewhere you will definately need to find your recovery and flow rate. Many wells I know of cant produce enough water to keep up with a 1/2 hp pump most of the time...

    If the pump isn't holding a prime it may be the foot valve at the bottom of the intake line in the well leaking. Either way a submersible pump is really the way to go since it dosn't have to be drained out all the time for freezing temps.
     
  4. JTHutch

    JTHutch LawnSite Member
    Posts: 115

    Jason

    I figured it would be fine. The well capacity isn't an issue It's out by the willowbrook area. When I blew air through the pump it had a leak in the casing of the pump itself. The pump is old and I think that the submersible would be the better way to go. The previous owner did a true DIY job on this. none of the fittings were even glued, which did make it easy to take apart. Any way thanks for the info.
     

Share This Page