1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is 4:30am too early?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1999frontier, May 11, 2010.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Is 4:30am too early to set timer to start watering? I've got 4 sprinklers in my lawn and I've set the timer for 45 minutes per sprinkler (zone). So it would stop watering at 7:30am. Is this ok or is it too early?
  2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

It is okay to water at that time. Heck you could even water at 4 am
  3. AOD

AOD LawnSite Senior Member

And I had thought this was about mowing at 4:30 in the morning!

some of the parks here, the irrigation starts at 10pm because it has so many zones to cycle through.
  4. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I wonder what golf courses do?????

But if our parks have sprinkler systems, then you mus live in a very wealthy area and love paying high taxes
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Actually that is about the best time you can water your lawn.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I wake up around that time every day. One of the first things I do is start my daily watering. I don't have an underground sprinkler system so I have to move a tripod sprinkler all over my "lawn".
  7. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did too ... I'm kinda disappointed to find out this thread's about sprinklers. :D
  8. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Right on. You want to water about an hour before the sun comes up. Tho you may want to cut your run time down 45 min . is a long time. I set zones to run for 20 min. every other day, depending on how much sun the area gets. Less sun, less run time on that zone. The key is to get the root of the grass to chase the water down. By over watering ,45 min. a zone ,your not letting the root chase the water down.
  9. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I thought I heard it is better to water long and deep instead of short and shallow to get the roots deeper. I don't have underground irrigation, I just have 4 spike sprinklers set on timer. So I should change and water each for 20 minutes?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is not the time per zone, but the output that determines this. 45 minutes with 5/8 in. hose will be much different than a 1" line. Regardless of,...it is about a sure bet that 45 minutes is WAY too long. You could probably water less than half that if the ground has some residual moisture in it and be more effective.