1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is 4WD A must?!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TWUllc, Aug 23, 2005.

1. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

If you're not plowing snow, and are just doing LawnCare & Landscaping seasonally, do you have a need for 4WD? I've only ever needed 4WD on my 1/2ton when I was out be dumb playin in snow, or being stupid in mudd. I'll be buying a new 3/4ton, I just can't decide on the 4WD or not. My gut says I won't need it, and the price tag for 4WD gives me the same feeling. But, thats why I'm asking you guys. Is there a need? What should I do? Thanks.

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont use my 4 wheel drive all summer when doing landscaping and mowing. But we plow so 4 wheel drive is a must for the winter.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

when I plowed at TGLC we used 2wd f-450 stake bodies and above with two pallets of CaCl in the back.....we had several small f25 extra cabs that were 4wd. I could not see plowing with a "small" truck without 4wd....

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Only you know whether or not you WANT it. No one needs it except to push snow, untill the late 70s there were very few 4x4 vehicals around and the majority of them were owened by farmers and rancher. I know that 99% of the time I don't use mine unless I'm pushing heavy wet snow.

5. tnelsongmc

tnelsongmc LawnSite Member

4WD drive is only necessary if you are considering plowing with a light-duty vehicle with just a pickup body or if you are doing a lot of off road travel. If you are watching your budget then I would suggest getting the locking rear differential option. Which basically locks the rear drive axle and transfers full torque to both wheels, allowing you to get out mud or snow. If you are considering a new or used vehicle I may be able to help. I have been in the landscape industry for over 13 years and just recently in commercial truck sales.

Thomas G. Nelson
    Penn GMC Commercial Trucks
    1 Kane Street
    Baltimore, MD 21224
    Office: 410.633.9000
    Cell: 443.865.9369
    Fax: 410.282.7259
    E-mail: tnelsongmc@hotmail.com
    Web Site: www.pennpontiac-gmc.com

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

On a slightly diffeernt note....When we began changing our fleet, since we relocated to a snowless part of the world, I was pretty insistant on 2wd, for one, why pay 3k give or take and loose milage for something you never needed....

When we got the last pick up, the only way it was offered in SRW was with 4x4. There have been more than a hand ful of times 4wd came in handy, the last was when we needed to get supplies on top of a 300' long 2-1 slope...Rather than use the bucket of the Cat, we loaded the bed of the pick up and saved some time. Hit the low gear button and back right up the grade, unload and away we went for the next load.

All in all, we could have gotten by without it because there are other means to stock jobsites. If all I ever drove was paved or gravel roadways in non snowy weather, I don't think I would ever need a 4x4. Then there are those time when we pull a trailer out to the dessert with quads and a dune buggy...Basically pull the tailer over hard packed sand to get to the campsite, and yes, low range is really necessary up some of those grades.

Then there is the resale arguement. Is reselling for more worth the extra fuel you will burn in the duration of time you will own the truck? On average a 4x4 gets 2MPG less than a 2WD. So, at $3.00 a gallon, where will you make up the difference in higher resale? You have already lost it at the pump....

Only you have the best answer for your business, if you want my opinion, I say go 2wd.

7. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Well, thank you for all your posts.
    UNISCAPER - you said what I really wanted to hear. "<b>if you want my opinion, I say go 2wd.</b>"
    I've thought that way since day 1, but friends and some competition that I'm close with tell me different.
    "<b>Why pay 3k give or take and loose milage for something you never needed</b>" See, now its getting scary, like you are reading my mind. Exact thing went through my head once I saw the price jump from 2WD to 4WD. I definetly appreciate the suggestions from you guys. :waving:

8. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

i don't plow snow but really could use a 4x4 to pull my dually trailer on steep dirt roads.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Down here may be a little different but I can go wherever whenever and never get stuck. Dodge 2500 hd cummins h/o turbo with 2WD. Why pay more unless you are plowing snow.

10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always had 4x4's. I don't plow snow and very, very rarely did I ever used 4wd. I just purchased a new (to me) truck and it is a 2wd.

My personal truck may remain a 4x4, but I don't think I will ever buy a 4x4 for a company vehicle, unless I start plowing.