Is 4wheel drive neccesary??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KrayzKajun, Jul 15, 2008.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i plan going get a new truck come labor day. Im steppin up to 3/4 ton diesel.
    I decided that because im goin to keep this new truck for a good while, i might as well get what i want.

the thing that 4x4 is a few thousand extra. Being i live down south, is it necessary?

i fgured i could use the 4wheel drive when pulling the gooseneck dump trailer my uncle left to me( i currently cant pull it wit my 1/2 ton)

all opinions welcome.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i use 4x4 almost daily. i use it when driving on lawns to keep the rear tires from spinning, and to back my trailer up my steep gravel driveway. i used it today to get into an undeveloped lot to do some work. so i use it a lot for work, and i would really have some issues had i not gotten the 4x4. and then there is of course the 3 months a year that the truck never comes out of 4x4, but down south you don't have that white problem.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Once you lose 4x4 you will miss it!!! Trust me, this is my first two wheel drive and it hurts!

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I always find myself switching on the 4x4...whether I am out muddin', checking crops, pulling my dad out of the mud because he has a 2wd, pulling over dead trees...hell, I even dropped 'er into 4 wheel when I was getting my senior pictures taken last week:laugh:

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

4x4 in the south is as useless as t1ts on warthog..:laugh:

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If your just pulling stuff around 2 wheel is all you need, unless like posted you need to go off pavement regularly. You should not tow in 4 wheel on dry roads anyways. Unless you need it the extra maint. alone would steer me away. Up here we have it for snow, during the summer I would say we use it maybe twice a year, and that's when the road to our dumpsite which is clay on a hill gets washed out. 2 wheel drive will go a lot of places if you know how to drive it.

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

:laugh::laugh: Good one! No, seriously, if you plan on routinely traversing through mud, or travel up north in the snow--4x4 is the way to go. Otherwise 2WD is best. I will be purchasing a new Sierra/Silverado shortly, and will be opting for the locking differential. This gives you the performance characteristics of 4WD on only the rear axle, sort of like 2WD on steroids.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Back in 2002, my Dad was out picking up a load of plants for us at a nursery about 30 miles away. On the way out, he got stuck on the entrance road (these places are sometimes in the boonies.) The nursery he bought them from did not have a tractor, or even a truck to do the job. Just a bunch of golf carts. The other nursery would not help him, saying they did not want to the liability. He ended up calling a tow truck, waiting 2 1/2 from when he got stuck and paid $150 for someone to come out and pull him ten feet. I decided right then and there, any future truck would be 4wd.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

On a srw P/U truck 4x4 is a must a 2wd can get stuck on a banana peal. On a dually truck its not so bad but a 3/4 ton or 1 ton single wheel diesel you get a one wheel wonder spin.

I wouldn't buy a 2wd 3/4 ton even with a limited slip.

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Didnt you say your silverado was 4x4?