Is $500 cash for this mower a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have the opportunity to buy a new basically unused, less than 1 hour, 21" Areins Hi vac bagger with a 6 HP Kawi engine.

If I bought this new with tax this would run just under $700. Current owner signed a contract with a LCO and wants it gone. Warranty is expired.

http://www.ariens.com/lawn_products/walk_behind_mowers/lm_21_sw/

2. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

i'd ask 450 on the table. take it or leave it.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I've not used an Ariens, but for slightly less money you can get a new 21 Toro Super Recycler ~$550.

I noticed the Ariens has a side-discharge which is infinitely better than a rear discharge if you don't bag your clippings.

Sounds like a good deal with that KAW power, though...snag it, but offer less first!
    .02 // YMMV

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I would offer $450 see what say. I like the Kawi engine.

5. Exact Rototilling

$450 it is - I may pay the $500 if all the ducks are lined up. The owner doesn't know the warranty is not transferable. This will be my trump card to clinch the $450. Will find out after the 1st of the year.

One of my random clients "Mr. my back hurts can you mow my yard today" let me use his new Areins 6 HP Kawi powered mower last fall. It really plowed through the tall grass like butter. It packed the clipping extremely well in the bag. Made my Toro seem really tired.

I'm totally sold on the Kawi 6 HP on 21" mowers. :weightlifter:

6. Ted Bell

Ted Bell LawnSite Member

Define 'on the table'.

7. Exact Rototilling

Went to buy the mower and the clown didn't even bother to fire up the mower before he listed it for sale. Long story short the mower hasn't been run for well over a year. Mower didn't start and will not run period. I suspect the carb was varnished up. Told him about Sta-bil. Oil was dark enough to show more than just a few hours of use. Oil level was over filled. He said he'd take it to the dealer to get it fixed. If the guy had been smart he would of cut the price dramatically for me. Was totally unwilling to go below $500 for a non running mower. I don't understand the gold mine attitude people have. I would of taken it off his hands for $400.

:hammerhead:Maybe I would of been a sucker for that price?

8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That is a nice mower. The only ariens dealer around here quit selling those and only sells that cheapo type ones now. I only use toro and snapper for 21"s.

9. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

That's funny...I know my Local places charge $64 an hr just to trouble shoot. In no time he'll be over the price for a new mower. He should have asked you for $300 and cut his losses